Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Books I'd Love To ReRead (Sept. 27th, 2011)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This Week's Topic Is: Top 10 Books I'd Love To Reread

I use to be huge on rereading. I have hundreds of books that I have read and loved, and I am loathe to part with them. The reason is always the same: "What if I want to read that again?" My books are kept in my bedroom, on two shelves. My bedroom is roughly 10 feet x 10 feet in size. I'm sure that you can see how this might be a problem. 

I've only been running I Write, I Read, I Review for about two months. I made the blog in June, but did not really figure out what I wanted from it until the start of August. So I'm going to be real with you guys. Five of my books are going to be picks that I have loved since I started this blog, and five will be books I've read throughout my lifetime. Some of these are Not YA and I will make this for your convenience. Let's get started, shall we? 

Before the Blog:

1. Wuthering Heights (Not YA)
by Emily Bronte

My aunt said she would pay me $2 if I read this book. I think I was twelve or thirteen. She let me keep the book, too. Apparently she had two copies ready and was prepared for me to not want to return it. There are many people who will tell you that what happens between Cathy and Heathcliff is not a love story. They are absolutely correct. Personally, I feel it is a cautionary tale about what happens when we are too foolish to listen to our own hearts. Pretty important stuff.

2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
by C.S. Lewis

Once again, this is because of my aunt. She got my brothers and I really into The Chronicles of Narnia. We read all the books and we watched the movies (the old ones, not the new ones, just to clarify). I like a lot of the books in this series, but The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is by far my favorite. I love how Eustace (I may have misspelled that) evolves as a character, I absolutely adore Caspian and the overall adventurousness of the story held my interest from the beginning to the end.

3. Wizard's First Rule (Not YA)
by Terry Goodkind

I took this book out of the library twice. The first time I got stuck on page one, bored to death because of an overly detailed description of a vine. The second time, my brother Shawn found it on my bed, read it and then told me I had to finish it. He was right. There is a lot that I like about this book. The relationship between Richard and Kahlan, the revelation of who Richard's father is, everything about this book is just great.

4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
by J.K. Rowling

I love the Harry Potter books, but this one is probably my favorite. I love the mystery going on here. I love getting such an interesting glimpse into Voldemort's past. I love the hints of Ginny liking Harry. I find Gilderoy Lockhart really funny (and annoying). And c'mon... Who doesn't love flying cars?

5. Firebrand (Not YA)
by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I think it was 9th grade when I found a second hand copy of this book at Value Village for $1. It was shortly after I had been introduced to Greek mythology in my 8th grade reading period. (Yes, we actually got to sit and read a book of our choice one hour a week.) Firebrand is primarily the story of Kassandra of Troy, and what happens to her from childhood and all through the Trojan War. I loved how vivid and real this book felt and how it cast a light on the women of Troy -- their hopes, their fears, their struggles. Absolutely fabulous stuff!

*+*+*+*

Now let's talk about some of the awesome books that I've read since I started my blog. There are quite a few great books that I've had the opportunity to read, but these have really stood out:

6. Shut Out
by Kody Keplinger

Where do I start? Laugh out loud funny? Quick-paced, couldn't put it down plot? Great characters? A story so well realized and interesting that I wished I could crawl inside the covers and pay the characters a visit? Shut Out has all of that and then some. The next time something happens and I need something that is going to cheer me up, this is likely going to be the book I'll be reading. 

7. Catching Fire
by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games is a great book. And in my opinion, everything great about it is kicked up a not, shaken up for good measure and then tumbled onto the ground in this absolutely awesome sequel. Important things happen to all the characters you care about, and some great new characters are introduced. The situation between Katnisss and Peeta becomes even more dire and the stakes of their "love" are higher then ever. Another book that I couldn't stop reading.

8. Perfect Chemistry
by Simone Elkeles

Everything I say here also applies to Rules of Attraction. (I'm not done Chain Reaction yet, but so far I'm loving it, too.) This is an awesome, slow-building love story that I enjoyed every moment I spent reading. Alex and Brittany are both interesting characters who have unique and interesting hurdles that they must overcome if they want together. I love how all three Perfect Chemistry books tie together and I know that this is a series I'll be visiting again someday.

9. Divergent
by Veronica Roth

There was so much I liked about this book. Tris is a heroine that I sympathized with and, for the most part, cheered for. Four is absolutely awesome and I adored him. (Yes, I'm saying *that* again.) I can already tell you when I'll be reading this again -- right before Insurgent releases next May. I'll squeeze it in somehow. 

10. The Sky Is Everywhere
by Jandy Nelson

You just had to see this one coming. Admit it. This book told such a beautiful moving story. I loved the characters. I thought the writing was great. I thought the poetry scattered throughout the book, and it's relevance to the story, was fantastic. Joe Fontaine is one of my favorite guys I've discovered since I started this blog. I thought that Lennie and Joe went together really well. Do I really need to keep repeating myself? ;) This isn't just a book I'd love to reread. It's a book I've gone out of my way to share with others. And as I've said before, I do not believe I can give higher praise then that. 

*+*+*+*

And there you have it, this week's top 10. So, do you want to reread any of the books on my list? What did you choose? Do you feel you even have time to reread? I know that now, with blogging and reviewing and everything else that squeezing in a repeat visiting, no matter how great the story, can be hard for me. And I have a lot of free time. 

Anyway, thanks for dropping by my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to link me to your top 10 if I haven't visited it yet. :) Have a great day! 

11 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is a given! :D And i also loved Divergent.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice selection. I have Divergent but haven't read it yet. I didn't like Catching Fire, so I doubt I would re-read it. I would like to read Perfect Chemistry as well.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's Mine:
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divergent and the Hunger Games series has been popping up on list no matter what the subject is. I will get to Hunger Games one day hopefully.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I've either read these, or have them on my TBR list. Always nice to see someone who's read Marion Zimmer Bradley...I haven't read that particular one, but I read a few of the Avalon books...those are actually on my reread list, although not the one I posted today! lol
    BTW, will be anxious to hear what you think of The Iron King.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've reread Perfect Chemistry about a million times by now. I pretty much have it memorized, but I love it so much. And I've reread Catching Fire quite a bit too, though not as much as The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FIREBRAND. I didn't know anyone else read that! That was one of my go to books as a teen, and I still love going back to visit its world. Though it ruined me a little for Percy Jackson and the like because I'm all "IT WASN'T LIKE THAT." Sometimes I'm overly influenced by books. ;)

    Divergent and The Sky is Everywhere are two others that nearly made my list. Such good books!

    Thank you for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really didn't like Wuthering Heights. It's my mom's favorite, so for her sake I tried getting into it twice but never got past page 50. Then it was assigned reading my first year of college so I had to read it all the way through, which didn't change my opinion about it one bit.

    I still need to read Divergent and The Sky is Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also picked up Wizard's First Rule once and made it to perhaps page 5 before I was bored. However, so many fantasy lovers rave about the series that I am determined to get through it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE all of the Hunger Games books! I adore re-reading them because they still always manage to amaze me every single time! :) And Divergent is just pure awesomesauce -- I'm definitely going to go get Insurgent as soon as it comes out, too!

    Ooh! I just picked up Perfect Chemistry from the library and I'm so glad you liked it! I'm going to start it really soon!

    Awesome Top Ten, Kathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to become a follower after reading your list - I adored reading it. Your aunt sounds really cool and I have *never* met anyone else for whom the Chamber of Secrets was their favourite HP book. Yay, a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to reread all of the Narnia books for a while now. The Horse and His Boy was always my favorite but I can't remember why! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...