Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Top 10 Books I've Read Because of Another Blogger (Sept. 13th)

Can you tell I like Memes yet? I came across this one while checking stuff that people I have followed are writing. (Yes, I just discovered how to keep track of what goes on with all the lovely blogs I follow. At last!) Anyway, here we go with my first attempt at Top 10 Tuesday. :)


So it looks like this week's topic is "Top 10 Books You've Read Because of Another Blogger." Well, I've only been blogging for a few months so I am going to bend this a little to include forums as well, since that's honestly where I got my start and became interested in the book reading / blogging community. I'm also going to stick to YA since that is what my blog focuses on. Here we go...

1. Anna and the French Kiss
by Stephanie Perkins

Recommended by Becca C. over on Absolute Write.

I gave it 3 hearts. Good story, but there was a plot point that bugged me. Don't get me wrong, though. I did enjoy Anna and the French Kiss, and I can't wait for Lola and the Boy Next Door.

2. Divergent
by Veronica Roth

Recommended by a lot of people shortly after I started my blog.

I gave this 5 hearts. Those who recommended it were right on two accounts: I loved the book, and I loved Four. <3

3. The DUFF
by Kody Keplinger

Recommended to me by K.E. Carson over at The Underground.

I was impressed with how passionately this book was talked about during a giveaway this blog was having. I already owned Bumped so I only wanted to support. I ended up buying The Duff shortly after and really liked it. I gave this book 4 hearts.

4. Perfect Chemistry
by Simone Elkeles

This was recommended to me by Linda over at Surrealistic fiction. She has excellent reviews up for all three books in the Perfect Chemistry trilogy and the only reason I haven't read Chain Reaction yet is because I don't want the books to be over. I gave this book 5 hearts.

5. Summer on Fire
by Kevin Craig

This got to me in a fairly interesting way. I actually won a signed copy from Kevin in a contest that he was doing over on Absolute Write. Summer on Fire is a fantastic book and if you haven't read it yet, you really should. :) I gave this book five hearts.

6. The Sky Is Everywhere
by Jandy Nelson

Do we really want to get me started singing the praises of The Sky Is Everywhere again? This was recommended by a lot of people over at Absolute Write and it was the first recipient of my book award, The Kat's Meow Award for Amazing Storytelling. Oh, it got 5 hearts, too. I'm also giving away two copies in my blog's first giveaway. Don't forget to enter!

7. Shut Out 
by Kody Keplinger

Another recommendation from The Underground. I was so excited when I found out that this was releasing. I ended up having it as one of the books in my first Book Wars poll and it was torture waiting that long to read it. Shut Out is absolutely fantastic and a book I know I'll be reading again. 5 hearts easy, plus this is the second recipient of The Kat's Meow.

* + * + * + *

Okay, now I'm going to cheat a little. (I really don't want to list books I didn't have recommended or that I didn't really like.) Here are three books people have recommended to me that I have on my TBR pile:

8. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

This is actually the first pick for the Fall Book Club going on at Words on Paper. Not only will I be reviewing this book (probably late this week or early next)... I will also be coming up with something to write about it that will be going up on this blog on September 30th, 2011. I am very excited to check this book out.

9. The Boyfriend List
by E. Lockhart

This was recommended to me by Shady Lane over on Absolute Write in a thread I started looking for books that have interesting romance in them. She pointed out that Lockhart makes the reader care about Ruby, and Ruby wants the guy(s?) in question so it all works out. Really looking forward to getting around to this one.

10. Keturah and Lord Death
by Martine Leavitt

Can't find the blog that got me interested in this for the life of me. I was looking for books that might be interesting to read and found this on a list of "rare or under-rated" YA. Why haven't I read it yet? It's an older book and I have been super busy keeping up with newer stuff that I am behind on reviewing. (I'm dying -- no pun intended -- to read this!)

* + * + * + *

So there you have it. Ten books that were in some way inspired by people that I met over the internet. I love the community aspect of reading and blogging. It has introduced me to many wonderful people and wonderful books. :)

So, did you have an easier time with your list then me? I'd love to hear about your selections or hear your thoughts on mine. Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Amazing bunch of books! Excellent choice:) I can't wait to read most of the books and some of them I've already read! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. French Kiss and Divergent were two books that I broke down and read because of the repeated urgings from the blogosphere.

    Here's my list, Top Ten Books I Read Because of Another Reader. I'd also invite you to sign up for the contest to win a $25 Amazon giftcard this month at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peculiar Children looks so good! It's on my TBR list because I've seen so many positive posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna and the French Kiss has been on my TBR list for some time, but it does seem to get mixed reviews. I will have to check out the other ones on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The DUFF so I really want to read Shut Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shut Out is absolutely wonderful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ordered DUFF from ebay (saw it here) I cant wait to get it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...