Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top 10 Books Everyone's Read But Me (Sept. 20th)


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This Week's Topic Is: Top 10 Books Everyone's Read But Me

There are many reasons that someone can end up out of the loop about books. Maybe a book comes out and you don't hear about it. Maybe it released before you got really interested in reading as actively as I do now. Maybe something about a book has you wary to pick it up. Or maybe it's just not in stock or you don't have enough cash at the time. In all truth, though, it boils down to this: books you're dying to read and books you're wary to read. So that's how I'm splitting it up this week, 50 / 50. Lets get the bad news done first, shall we?

Books I'm Wary To Read:

1. Twilight
by Stefenie Meyer

*Prepares to duck an in-coming tomato.* 

Why I Haven't Read It: I've had Twilight on my shelf for ages. I've picked it up and tried to start it a time or two. But it never sticks. As someone who writes paranormal and fantasy romances, it's pretty much required reading. But I'd rather by reading Shakespeare or Dickens if something is going to be considered "required reading". Twilight has an interesting concept and I can understand why people love it. But the writing just doesn't book me. Yet I don't want to get rid of it. I want to read it and "understand" for myself. It's a no win situation.

2. City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare

Why I Haven't Read It: Another series that people seem to love. Another series that I have two books from that are collecting dust; books I don't have the heart to get rid of because I don't want to tell people I gave up on them. City of Bones suffers from the exact same problem I just described for Twilight. I want to like it. I want to "get" it. But it just doesn't seem able to click with me for whatever reason, despite the fact that it should really be my kind of book. Yet again, a real shame. 

3. Shiver
by Maggie Stiefvater

Why I Haven't Read It: I grabbed this as a freebie when Chapters had their buy 3 get 1 free deal on. Then I read a few reviews that have made me pretty nervous. On one hand, lots of people seem to like this series. On the other hand, look at the two series I just finished telling you that I can't seem to click with. Big sale popularity does not necessarily guarantee that a book will be my thing. I'm sure I'll get around to this. I need to make sure I go into it without bias when the time comes, though.

4. White Cat
by Holly Black

Why I Haven't Read It: Here's a catch 22: I love the premise for this book, but the only thing I've ever read by this author ended up being a book that I really did not like (Tithe). I liked its premise, too. I find it very hard to trust an author if the first book I read by them ends up not being my thing. Might not be totally fair, but the truth is the truth. I might check this out eventually ... Maybe I'll see if Amazon has a sample I can read? But for now it can wait. 

5. Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick

Why I Haven't Read It: I can think of at least three occasions where I've almost bought this book and stopped myself. Which really might be a shame, because there was a time when I was totally dying to read it. Before I read Fallen. I've heard lots of people say that if you don't like one, you won't like the other. I've also heard connections between this and Twilight, which has added to my wariness about reading it. These reasons might not be terribly fair, but there are so many books that I want to read that I have to choose carefully.

* + * + * + *

But relax! It's not all doom and gloom. There are tons of books that I can't wait to read, but here are five that I bet a lot of you have beaten me to a thousand times over. :) 

Books I'm Dying To Read:

6. Paper Towns
by John Green

Why I Haven't Read It: I picked up Will Grayson, Will Grayson at the Chapters sale. Since I've never read anything by John Green before, that may or may not have been a good idea. (I haven't started it yet, so I can't tell you.) Yes, I can hear some of you gasping in horror at this admission. ;) But rest assured, I am interested in reading Paper Towns and it is also one of the books I've had requests from people to review. I'll tell you what I think of it then. ;)

7. The Near Witch
by Victoria Schwab

Why I Haven't Read It: I haven't done a new book order since I heard about it. I'm planning one soon, but I have a ton of newly released books that I want so I'll have to wait and see whether I can squeeze this in. Maybe... It could fit in nicely with some of my plans for October. A lot of my friends seem to have enjoyed this book so I would love to check it out and share my thoughts, too. We shall see. 

8. Cracked Up To Be
by Courtney Summers

Why I Haven't Read It: The only reason I haven't read this yet is because the Chapters I went to at the start of the month was sold out. This was on my list for that trip but it just wasn't meant to be. There are lots of reasons that I want to read it. I've heard great things about Courtney Summers and this book looks interesting to me. I'm sure that I will get around to it eventually. A lot of people who have recommended books to me seem to enjoy this, so I figure it will be worth checking out. 

9. The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa

Why I Haven't Read It: I've been sleeping under a rock. No, wait. That's not quite the truth. Okay, the truth is... I heard about The Iron King shortly after trying Tithe and Wicked Lovely. Neither of those books worked out for me, which I found very upsetting since I figured that I would love books about faeries. But I think I'm ready to give faeries a try again, and this always looked like it had potential. So I think I might give this a go and see how it goes. (On a less serious note, my Team Peeta badge is lonely.)

10. Twenty Boy Summer
by Sarah Ockler

Why I Haven't Read It: This book just keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the list. Or not being in stock when I go to buy it. Or... You get the idea. I've heard lots of good things about Twenty Boy Summer and I have been looking forward to reading it. But it's one of those books that has eluded me for some reason or another. Eventually I will get it and fix that problem. But for now I need to wait for the right time to make that happen. 

* + * + * + *

Well there you have it. My list. So, what do you think? Are there any of the titles on the wary list that I should try again? Any titles on my 'dying to read' that aren't as amazing as I've built them up to be in my head? Or perhaps you agree with something I've said?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and see what you've chosen for this Top 10. Feel free to leave me a comment. :) 

23 comments:

  1. You were so smart splitting up your list like this! Twilight/Shiver/Hush Hush should all probably have been on my list too. All three just didn't click.

    To address White Cat specifically (and I hate to be all YOU SHOULD READ THIS at someone who said they're not sure) - I just read it last month, and while I liked Tithe, I never liked it enough to pick up Black's other books in that series. But White Cat's a totally different style compared to Tithe, and you can really tell how Black's progressed as a writer. You might be surprised if you give it a try! I - as you can probably tell - really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about White Cat. I feel the same way about it. And I personally hate the cover for some reason.

    I also really want to read Twenty Boy Summer, I have only been hearing good things about it. [:

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    re to comment: I think I don't really want to read the iron fey series just from my experience with fey in other series, like the Mortal Instruments. I have heard great things about it though, so you should definitely give it a go. [:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comment by Emily. Splitting the books like this was a good idea. I agree with most of your choices there. As much as people have read Twilight and Hush, Hush, I just have no interest personally. City of Bones was :( IMO and I bought the first 3 of them because of the hype.

    The Near Witch sounds really great too. Ack why is there so many to choose from and only so many hours in a day for me to read! And good ones just keep being released

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh! You gave up on the Mortal Instruments? :( That's sad, because I'm a huge fan. With the Twilight series, I can totally understand, but MI...?

    To the second half, I really want to read Paper Towns as well!! Well, anything John Green basically. Also, The Iron Fey series is on my list as well! :)

    Sophia
    My Top Ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Near Witch was wonderful! I just posted my review of it.
    I love Twilight but I know it's not for everyone. Of the books on your list, I'd say Shiver is the most well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Shiver. The Iron King, Twilight, and City of Bones are all right, but they're not stellar. I feel like one of the few that isn't crazy about The Iron Fey series or the Mortal Instruments series. I definitely suggest Shiver though! Of the three books in the Mercy Falls series it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I've read 4 of 5 of the ones your wary about. Shiver to me was more of a light-hearted wolf story. (I haven't read the other two yet, and I read this right after the twilight books so yeah) I actually have white cat on my shelf. As for the other part I have The near witch on my list and Twenty boys summer sounds good and I enjoyed Fixing Delilah which was by her as well. I have all the iron fey books so far, but haven't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely recommend Courtney Summers and Sarah Ockler! Great list. A few of the same titles on my list. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Hust Hush on my list too, and while I have read Iron King I have not read the rest of the series yet. Hopefully, I will find the time someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED The Near Witch, hope you will too when you get to it :)
    I really enjoyed White Cat, though Tithe wasn't my thing either, I think it's completely different, I hope you'll give it a try!
    And thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm very interested in Divergent, it's even sitting on my shelf... Just too many books, too little free time..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you separated those you are wary to read and those you are dying to read...it's true that some of the books on my list I never plan on reading no matter how much I read about them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really want to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will love White Cat. It was truly an amazing book. I have Twilight on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read any of those but it's ok, I think!

    I have listed authors in my post!

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only read Shiver and Twilight on your list. I thought Shiver was just okay, but I really enjoyed Twilight.

    I need to read something by John Green. I still haven't gotten to him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you love Near Witch and The Iron King as much as I did.

    Top 10 http://t.co/NPJUk2vl
    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm dying to read Cracked Up to Be as well, it's been on my wishlist since forever.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read Tithe, but White Cat was amazing! One of my favorite reads this year & the sequel was really good, too, so I recommend you to give it a try! As for the others, I read City of Bones & enjoyed it, but I didn't become crazy about it & haven't read the rest, although I might in the future, as for Hush Hush, I knew I won't like it, I just had a feeling & I was right. The only reason I didn't gave up was that I enjoyed the author's writing style, although the story was predictable & I disliked the characters. I also read The Near Witch, which I loved it & I also enjoyed Cracked Up to Be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the whole Twilight series to see what all the hype was about, but it was just ok.

    I'd really like to read The Near Witch too.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    -Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Twilight was on my list, too! I truly do not plan on reading it. I'm a rebel like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually really enjoyed the Mortal Instruments books. I think they're worth a read for sure.

    I understand about Shiver, though. I know almost everyone adores those books, but I just wasn't that impressed with it.

    You should definitely read 'Twenty Boy Summer' pronto!! I really loved it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. CRACKED UP TO BE is amazing. I'm a big fan of Courtney's books.

    I had a hard time connecting to the main characters in SHIVER, but in LINGER and FOREVER there are two new narrators (Isabel and Cole) and I really enjoyed them.

    I'm looking forward to THE NEAR WITCH too. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I literally almost DIED when you said you hadn't read Shiver. I agree on Twilight and all the others but Shiver is an all time favorite with me. I love it to death.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...