Sunday, September 25, 2011

In My Mailbox (Sept. 25th)


So I got to go to Chapters yesterday and I came home with a few new "friends". ;) Here is what I got:

You Against Me
by Jenny Downham

Why I Bought It: This looks like it should be an interesting read. The hero and heroine here are facing a total no-win situation and I am anxious to see how they will deal with it and where they will be once they have. The plot here is darker then most stuff that I read, but it has me intrigued. Hopefully these characters will get a good ending, but we shall see.

Glow
by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Why I Bought It: This sounded like the kind of book my boyfriend, Jay, would read. I was interested in it, too. I haven't had the chance to read much YA science fiction, but Glow sounded like something that might hold my interest.



Sisters Red
by Jackson Pearce

Why I Bought It: A modern re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood? I love fairytale retellings, so I couldn't resist that. I am curious to see how well Red Riding Hood will translate to our modern world and to see what kinds of characters these two sisters will be. This looks like it should be a fun read.

Passing Strange
by Daniel Waters

Why I Bought It: I loved Waters' first book, Generation Dead. I have his second book, Kiss of Life on my to-read list for October. Now I have the third book, Passing Strange. I wanted it anyway, since Generation Dead is so fabulous. I didn't expect to find it on sale for $7. I couldn't resist.

The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa

Why I Bought It: This was on my Top Ten Tuesday last week, which was about books everyone's read but me. When I had the chance to go out and grab some new books, this seemed like a good choice to pick up because of that. I have been wanting to try reading something faerie related and I've heard a lot of praise for the Iron Fey series. We'll see how it goes.

XVI
by Julia Karr

Why I Bought It: I've had requests to review this, so I thought it might be nice to respond to those. The overall plot sounds pretty interesting and I am curious to see what will happen here. This could be really good or it could be very disturbing. I guess I'll just have to read it and find out.

Incarceron
by Catherine Fisher

Why I Bought It: I noticed this on Amazon and it intrigued me. I don't normally read stuff that has science fiction and fantasy blended together this way, or at least haven't in quite a while. I am curious to see how this book will go, so I couldn't resist picking it up.

Starcrossed
by Josephine Angelini

Why I Bought It: Apparently, this book was inspired by The Illiad. It's based on Helen and Paris. So there's no way I couldn't read it after hearing that. I am extremely eager to read this book. Which is always a dangerous thing, because it does mean that I am risking disappointment. I am really hoping that this book ends up being one that I enjoy, because the idea itself is absolutely brilliant.

So, what do you think of my new books? And what fabulous things arrived in your mailbox (or at least, on your bookshelf) this week? I'd love to know. :)

5 comments:

  1. Great IMM! You Against Me sounds really good I've been hearing good reviews!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. incarceron is one of my favorite books! I just love how its different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got some good stuff this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GLow and Starcrossed look amazing. I love mythology- so the second one really appeals to me!

    I found you through Book Blogs (and my co-author Stephanie told me about you because she likes your fb page) and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some really good books, it sounds like! I'm really keen to read the Iron Fey series, too, since I've heard so many great things about it on other blogs. A few of these others are on my wishlist as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...