Friday, September 16, 2011

TGIF At GReads (Sept. 16th)


I'm not a "book bully". If I think I am going to hate a book, odds are I'm not going to read it. And I'm definitely not going to review it. But then again, the reason that I review books is that it can be tough to tell whether a book is for you. Even with previews, reviews, book trailers, first pages and everything else out there. A premise can sound fantastic. A book can start out strong. But then, suddenly, things can take a turn for the weird. Or something that seemed to have so much potential can utterly fail to connect with me.

I want to make it absolutely clear that just because I do not like a certain book, that does not mean the book is "awful", or that no one else will like it. Reading a book is a very personal experience. Having a book blog makes it a lot more social. But as a book blogger and reviewer, I feel it is my responsibility to ensure that nothing gets lost in translation when I talk about books. Which means when I do a review I am telling you my personal opinion on that book.

So, why am I giving you all this pre-amble? Because of this week's TGIF topic. It's the kind of discussion that could upset someone, and I want to be clear that is not my intent. So, on to the main event:

Book Disappointments: Have you ever come across a book you were so stoked to read, but it failed miserably in your eyes?

I just know that somebody out there just went "What?!".

How could the person who created The Princess Diaries possibly write something that I felt "failed miserably"? Let's keep this short and sweet:

The heroine was too whiny.

The plot was bogged down with too many flashbacks.

The hero did not have enough of a presence.

The book just didn't grab my interest.

This was totally and utterly heartbreaking. Here was an opportunity to create a completely fresh spin on the Hades and Persephone myth ... One of my favorite pieces of mythology ever.

Now, to be clear and fair: I am not complaining that she screwed up the myth. I realize that her goal wasn't to create Hades and Persephone. My issue is that the story that she created and the characters she made to tie into what I felt was a fantastic concept (multi-sectioned underworld with different people in charge? Very unique.) just didn't hold up to the idea itself. 

I wanted to like this book. I tried very hard to get into it. But in the end, it was a DNF for me. Truly a shame. 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books. Thanks for the honesty.

    My TGIF http://t.co/FhwACRdd
    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Abandon but i think it's on my tbr list. I totally agree with you! I also review books based on my opinions and personal feel about it, and when i give a so-so review, it doesn't mean that the book is bad. As i said, we all have different taste in books and sometimes, what's ok with me isn't good enough to everyone else. And i couldn't agree with you any more than i do when you said that we're here to help each other to find awesome books to read. That's the fun in reading and sharing! =D

    Thanks for your visit and comment on my post! Xoxo!

    April @ books4juliet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I've had this book since last April!! and just haven't had the desire to read it :-\ I may need to donate it soon. And there is nothing wrong with not liking a book. I wish more people would be honest. We're book reviewers! It's ok to give your opinion, whether it be negative or positive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honesty. You're not the first person I've seen to be disappointed in the books that are not Princess Diaries related. Like you said, reading is a very personal experience, and not every book is a perfect fit.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog :)
    Marissa @ And many to read before I sleep

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Abandon was alright, not great, not terrible. I've read some pretty fail books! However I did enjoy Falling Under by Gwen Hayes which came out around the same time and I ended up reading first. It had a sort of similar concept, but I liked it a lot more, even though I thought I'd like Abandon more. So that was probably the main reason Abandon fell short for me.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow Abandon didn't make it onto my radar. Interest in Meg Cabot seems to have waned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have this book on my shelf but i haven't read it yet. i'm curious to see what i'll think about it when i do. great post! :)

    also, thanks for stopping by our WoW earlier this week and following. i'm a new follower too. :)

    -Michelle
    Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...