Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday (Nov. 16th)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's can't wait to read it selection is...

Obsidian
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Why I Want It: I love stories about aliens and they don't come along that often in YA. At least not that I have seen since I started reading. The concept of them living right down the street is one that I think is really cool as well. There are lots of books -- in general here -- where aliens want to take over the planet or something, but I've always been a fan of supernatural / otherworldly things being blended into our own world.

Then we have the amount of bite that the heroine seems to exude in that blurb. If she's that witty / snarky and can show me a bit of growth as the story moves along, we're going to match up great. I like it when a character doesn't take things lying down, provided that the reader is still given some insight or vulnerability toward them at some point in the story.

There seems likely to be tension between her and the hero, too. Which can be great if done well. It adds conflict, opportunities for both humor and banter between characters, and it reduces the likelyhood of the characters experiencing "insta-love". Don't get me wrong -- I'm not against that in books. But I like seeing a variety of different types of relationship growth within YA rather then a constant repeat of one type repeated again and again.

Are my hopes set high for Obsidian? You bet. I've heard a lot of good things from friends who've been able to read this and I am counting down the days until it is released. This is one of my most anticipated holiday reads -- if I can wait until Christmas to read it. I'm that excited. 

Thanks so much for dropping by. Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what book you're super excited for this week. Have a great day! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this one would be for me. Something about aliens...don't appeal to me.

    I'll have to wait for some reviews. I might change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OooOOOooh! Obsidian is FANTASTIC!! Can't wait for your thoughts on it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book many times! I like the sound of the story, which is amazing!! Great choice! Thank you for sharing!

    Sorry for the late visit.

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...