Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top 10 Books I Had Strong Emotional Reactions To...


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here atThe Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is: Top Ten Book I've Had A Strong Emotional Reaction To.

Shock of shocks, people. For once, I actually don't have ten books. It's not that there aren't more books that have moved me then those I am about to list. But these are the books I can recall responding to the most strongly for one reason or another. Enjoy!

1. The Sky Is Everywhere
by Jandy Nelson

What It Did To Me: Made me want to contact an ex.

Why?: The situation between Lennie and Joe mirrors what happened with me and a guy that I was interested in several years ago. Our "story" did *not* end happily.

Did I Do It?: Heck no. I'm not crazy! :p

Night Play
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

What It Did To Me: Made me cheer out loud.

Why?: I loved seeing Vane make an ass out of Taylor. Think of me what you will, but I was in an "interesting" part of my life. What really got me, though, was what Bride says to one of the antagonists (Not going to say Villain here, it would not be totally appropriate.) I admired her courage and loyalty.

Did I Do It?: Absolutely. And I was outside so the neighbors probably heard, too.

Summer On Fire
by Kevin Craig

What It Did To Me: Made me want to throw an 80s music video weekend

Why?: I love how much time and detail was put into making sure that the reader knows that they have entered another time. And considering that the setting for the book took place less then twenty years ago the fact that it's that noticeable is impressive.

Did I Do It: Absolutely. With my aunt. Celebrating the childhood memories that the book made me so vividly recall.

Dearly, Departed
by Lia Habel

What It Did To Me: Made me want to fall in love with a zombie.

Why?: Bram is one of the best heroes I've seen written in a YA book, paranormal, contemporary or otherwise, barring none. I loved the fact that falling in love with Bram was a strength to Nora, if anything, rather then a weakness. He encouraged her to take action and taught her to protect herself. That's the kind of hero we need to see more of in books. I totally love him.

Did I Do It?: I think that's pretty obvious, don't you? ;)

Wither
by Lauren DeStefano

What It Did To Me: Made me totally fall for someone I thought I would hate.

Why?: Linden is totally awesome. I figured that I would despise him. The premise of the book, when I read it, seemed to be begging me to hate him. But despite the situation he is in and the actions he takes, I could not help but feel for him. That is very powerful writing. 

Did I Do It?: Yes. I wish I'd realized it when I reviewed Wither. I really need to raise it a up a star because what DeStefano achieved here is almost shocking.


So, what did you think of my list? Am I just a little crazy? I am writing this at 7 a.m. I'd love to know what you chose this week, so feel free to link to your Top Ten Tuesday in the comments. 

9 comments:

  1. I've not come across most of the books you mention but I loved the way you set out your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but today is my birthday, and I'm (wow!) 55, so I think I'm allowed to dispense a little free advice: honestly, you do not want to fall in love with a zombie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played with adding The Sky is Everywhere on my list too since I spent at least half the book crying.


    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Summer on Fire, too, and loved it. So glad it made your list. It made me read it cover to cover without stopping. Great characters. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dag, you make me want to re-do my post. its done so lovely. now about that falling in love with the zombie; things that make you say, "Hmmm'.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously need to read The Sky is Everywhere and Wither soon. I even bought a copy of Wither six months ago, but just haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I wanted to say how much I love the set up of this post too! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I especially love Wither! I'm following your blog now, too!

    Here's mine: http://carycheyennexo.blogspot.com/2011/11/top-ten-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the way you set this out! I have a copy of Dearly, Departed and you've made me very keen to start it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...