Saturday, November 19, 2011

In My Mailbox (Nov. 19th)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme created by Kristi over at The Story Siren where we all post the fabulous book related things we received this week. And have I ever had a week. I had quite a few surprises arrive in the mail and I am very eager to share them with you all. As always, I hope that the week has been good for you, too. :)

For Review:

The Scarlet Dagger
by Krystle Jones
The strength of Sloane’s heart is about to be put to the ultimate test.

After the Eclipse – the night vampires began openly slaughtering human victims – everything changed. Out of fear, the government salvaged what remained of the human population and enclosed them in massive, security-laden cities called White Sectors, while marking the vampire infested territory as Red Sectors.

When seventeen-year-old Sloane McAllister’s twin brother disappears, she seems to be the only one who thinks he isn’t dead, and vows to stop at nothing to find him. Gathering her courage, she braves the Red Sector to search for clues to his whereabouts. By chance, she encounters Aden, a handsome, charismatic vampire with a hidden agenda. He turns Sloane against her will, and whisks her away to his underground city. Enemies quickly become friends as Sloane struggles against her attraction to Aden, and resists her growing loyalties to the creatures that ruined her life. But the vampires themselves are the least of her problems. The city is harboring a devastating secret, one that could change the tide of the war and threaten to destroy everything Sloane has come to believe in.

Heart-stopping action and scorching romance collide in this dystopian, urban fantasy thriller.

I couldn't resist giving this one a "yes". The summary grabbed me right away and the sample that I read held me interest to the point where my thoughts were "Aw, crap. That's the end of it?" when I finished reading it. I'm looking forward to reading this from start to finish. 

A Little Charity Work:


As I'm sure some of you know, Karaoke is another of my passions and I am often very busy this time of year helping with fundraisers to support various causes. This year, one of fundraisers that I took part in, at two different locations, was Walk On The Wild Side. The goal of this fundraiser was to help raise money for the local Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. 


At the latter event that I took part in, I was fortunate enough to get two signed copies of the book that the Rehabilitation Center published, On The Wild Side. I'm keeping one and am planning to give one away to one of you guys. I normally don't post about a lot of non-fiction here at I Write, I Read, I Review but this book is here on behalf of a totally fantastic cause that I am very proud to support. 

Books I Won: 


I won this from Wendy at A Cupcake and a Latte. As someone who is completely indecisive and who blogs, this one definitely intrigues me. Hopefully my review pile will settle down a little so that I can get to enjoy it soon. 


I've said it a thousand times: I'm a huge fan of the House of Night series. So I was pretty excited when I won a copy of Nyx in the House of Night from Trinity Faegen. This is a book of essays that examine various aspects of the House of Night books by a variety of different authors. I love books like this and I've been reading a piece here and there and have been really enjoying it.


Trinity wrote one of the essays and she signed the book in the table of contents where her essay appears.


When I opened the book not only did I see it was signed, this slipped out onto the table. I've mentioned wanting to read The Mephisto Covenant about 80 times by this point, so receiving a bookmark for it was pretty exciting. There are a couple other things that I think are really cool about this. First up is the fact that it's the first time I've received anything like this. Now I'll definitely be getting The Mephisto Covenant as an actual book when I do pick it up because they'll end up a set. The other thing I noticed about this that I really liked is that the book is praised by two of my favorite authors, P.C. Cast and Sherrilyn Kenyon. Someone remind me why I haven't gotten this yet? :p 


I won this from Dani over at Refracted Light and I am so excited to sit down and read it. I love stories about what might happen if something went really wrong with our world, and Eve looks very ready to deliver a story that will hold my interest. Thanks. :)


Oh, look! It's another book you guys have heard me ramble on about a lot here. I've wanted to read Die For Me for a while now and I've had some really weird and crazy things happen as I have tried to acquire it. So when I won it from Jodie over at Books For Company I was absolutely thrilled. Imagine my surprise when two copies of the book showed up here. I didn't think I'd be getting this one for a while. It came really fast.

Fortunately it looks like the accident was on the part of Book Depository (I'd feel awful if a fellow blogger got charged twice sending me something.) So it looks like I'll be having a Die For Me giveaway soon as well. Hmm... Perhaps I'll put this and the book from Walk On The Wild Side together since it's tiny? We'll see. :) Anyway, thanks once again to Jodi for sending me the totally fabulous book.

Between
by Cyndi Tefft
It just figures that the love of Lindsey Water's life isn't alive at all, but the grim reaper, complete with a dimpled smile and Scottish accent.

After transporting souls to heaven for the last 300 years, Aiden MacRae has all but given up on finding the one whose love will redeem him and allow him entry through the pearly gates.

Torn between her growing attraction to Aiden and heaven's siren song, Lindsey must learn the hard way whether love really can transcend all boundaries.

I won this from Aeicha over at Word Splunking as part of her Let's Celebrate BIG Giveaway. I had my choice of a lot of different books but this one grabbed me immediately because of the totally fascinating summary. I love stories that are about people falling in love with the grim reaper or any other death related figure so this was an instant 'How have I not read this yet?' for me. (Yes, I know I am really really strange.) Anyway, thanks so much for sending this my way. I'm totally excited to read it!

For My Kindle: 

There are some very interesting books available for FREE right now over on Amazon. I highly suggest that you visit this post over at The Rest Is Still Unwritten if any of the following appeal to you: 

Fairytale
by Maggie Shayne
As a boy, Adam Reid stumbled into an enchanted forest-and met a magical lady who showed him his destiny. Now he is a sober and serious adult. And memories have faded of a childhood event that could not possibly have occurred...could it?

Brigit Malone is on a mission-a dangerous, larcenous quest that leads the mysterious lovely into Adam Reid's home...and heart. For sparks fly when her warm ebony gaze meets his sapphire stare--and a passionate enchantment binds them with invisible chains. But it would be insane for Adam to believe Brigit's arrival had been foretold--or that the sensuous minx is truly half-fairy--even as they travel together down an impossible path toward a dire peril only the magic of love could overcome.

I've read and enjoyed Maggie Shayne's work before, and I'm very interested in anything fairy / faery right now, so I could not resist downloading this. 

Hollowland
by Amanda Hocking
"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

I've heard a lot of different opinions regarding Amanda Hocking's books. But for the low price of free? I think I can form my own. :) This looks interesting. 

A Touch of Greek
by Tina Folsom
Selfish and gorgeous Greek God Triton is cast out of Olympus after seducing Zeus’ mistress and can only gain reentry if he finds a woman who loves him for his kindness and selflessness, not his beauty. When the mortal Sophia – recovering from an eye operation and virtually blind – needs a home healthcare worker, he takes on the role, hoping she will be his ticket home.

While defending Sophia from an unknown adversary, Triton’s protective instinct emerges. At the same time rival Gods do everything to doom him to failure. And even if Triton can win Sophia’s love, will he throw it away to return home, or will he lose his own heart to the only woman who truly sees him?

A Touch of Greek is the first book in the humorous and sexy paranormal romance series Out of Olympus following the romantic adventures of four Gods: Triton, Dionysus, Eros, and Hermes.

The next book in the series (Dionysus) is planned for March 2011

Please let this be good. I absolutely adore Greek mythology, but when it comes to reading books based on it the results can be ... interesting. I'm very touchy on this subject and it can be hard for me to predict what I will think of a book until I'm a good chunk in. Fortunately, this is definitely a low risk, high reward investment. I would love to have a new series to follow. (Even as my TBR goes "No!" at the thought.) 

The Unfinished Song: Initiate
by Tara Maya
DEADLY INITIATION

A DETERMINED GIRL...
Dindi can't do anything right, maybe because she spends more time dancing with pixies than doing her chores. Her clan hopes to marry her off and settle her down, but she dreams of becoming a Tavaedi, one of the powerful warrior-dancers whose secret magics are revealed only to those who pass a mysterious Test during the Initiation ceremony. The problem? No-one in Dindi's clan has ever passed the Test. Her grandmother died trying. But Dindi has a plan.

AN EXILED WARRIOR...
Kavio is the most powerful warrior-dancer in Faearth, but when he is exiled from the tribehold for a crime he didn't commit, he decides to shed his old life. If roving cannibals and hexers don't kill him first, this is his chance to escape the shadow of his father's wars and his mother's curse. But when he rescues a young Initiate girl, he finds himself drawn into as deadly a plot as any he left behind. He must decide whether to walk away or fight for her... assuming she would even accept the help of an exile.

By this point I was sitting ther and thinking "Wow! I feel really greedy for grabbing all of these books!" And then I saw this one and had to have it, too. The premise was just too interesting for me to pass it up. I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty. If I love any of these books and they're from series then I will likely end up grabbing future releases. 

Thanks once again to Rachel at The Rest Is Still Unwritten for sharing this utterly fantastic list of free reads. I check this a lot and very rarely download anything, so to find this many books that interested me on one page was kind of a shock. 


This Week's Question:
I am considering getting a new header and possibly a new grab button made for my blog. Do you think I should hire someone or hold a contest? I'd love to hear your opinions! The header is the one aspect of my blog that people mentioned most often as something to improve when I asked for feedback. Thanks for your time! 

PollPub.com VoteHow should I get my new header and grab button made?
Hire someone to make them.
Hold a contest with a prize and use the best design.



View Results

Poll powered by PollPub.com Free Polls






Anyway, as I'm sure you can clearly see, this week has been pretty awesome. I hope that it has been equally good to you as well and I would love to see all of the great new things that you received. Feel free to leave a link to your post and I'll drop by to say hi. Have a great day! 

22 comments:

  1. Great IMM. I'm really looking forward to reading Eve!

    http://thebookfaerie.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. trinity faegen is in my teen shiver author group! there's a link on my page!

    here's my first ever IMM vlog! Come by and check it out! (I probably act nerdy, lol)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-first-video-blog-ever-imm-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books this week! I'm thinking of buying Eve soon .... it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great books this week! I loved Die For Me and have to get myself an actual copy of it soon. I hope that you enjoy your new books!

    Kristina
    Ladybug Storytime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of awesome books this week!! I got a copy of Eve the other week and can't wait to dive in aswell. I really enjoyed Die For Me! Plus I'm a sucker for any novel set in Paris :)

    Ooh I've never heard of The Scarlet Dagger before, but it sounds fantastic, so thanks for putting it on my radar!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,

    Nice lot of books!! I am going to get Maggie Shayne book from Amazon for 0$$ shortly.

    Have fun reading them all!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely an awesome week. ;) Plenty of new ones in there too! I'm super curious about Eve. Hope you'll enjoy it! :D Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It sounds like you had a fabulous and lucky week! Yeah for you! These books look wonderful. There are so many of them that I want to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! The Scarlett Dagger sounds Fantastic! Like really!! And I also have to get Die For Me oh my god I've been wanting to read that one for like a million years!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great mailbox! I hope you enjoy all your new reads. I have Die for Me on my wish list. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great IMM. Really amazing list of books. I loved Eve. You really have to see the full picture in the end or it wouldn't be that great. Enjoy your reads!
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of really good books this week! I loved Eve, Die for Me, AND My Life Undecided.

    Hope you enjoy them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one huge mailbox! I saw lots there that will be going on my wishlist. Eve, Die For Me and Between look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am dying to read die for me, the cover is so pretty. Love the red! And I love the HON series too, but I actually didn't know of that book until now... huh... and the tbr list gets bigger and bigger -_-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you got a ton of good ones! My Life Undecided sounds really cute, and I'm dying to read Eve! Some of the others I hadn't heard of before, but they look good too, so I'll have to check them out.

    http://jaimeliredeslivres.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great set! So cool that you got Die For Me - twice. I loved that book. I really want to read My Life Undecided too. Enjoy!
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOWIE! You have so many books this week, Kathy!! I LOLed when I saw your two copies of Die For Me (that book was awesome and I hope you like it!), and The Scarlett Dagger sounds SO COOL! Am I the only one who was reminded of the Scarlett Letter? LOL! x)

    Awesome mailbox this week, Kathy! I hope you enjoy all of your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing haul! That's great that you're apart of so many fundraisers!

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by:)

    jenn | my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  19. You won MY LIFE UNDECIDED, awesome!! This book was so adorable. I really liked it and will be reviewing it sometime this week <3 I hope you love it! You won quite a few awesome items! Ahh, I still need to read EVE as well! It's interesting to see all the Greek mythology in romance novels right now outside of the YA dept! I still need to read INITIATE. I really, REALLY want to. I was supposed to get a review copy of the first book when it was brand-new, but the series has been having issues finding its way to nook. As far as your header is concerned...I would hire someone (or find a talented friend). If you do a contest, what happens if nothing spectacular emerges? And if the winner is using stock photography, you need to pay for the licensing of those images used, which can get tricky... :( I'm about to do the same thing; luckily, I have a talented co-worker who is going to make me something after school gets out :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many awesome books! I won a copy of My Life Undecided too (lol)

    Here is my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been interested in reading Die For Me as well. Look forward to hearing what you think about it!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Leslie
    Working for the Mandroid

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, great mailbox! I, too, received Eve - I think it looks awesome! I haven't heard of The Scarlet Dagger, but it sounds great!

    Die For Me is another one that is on my TBR list.

    Enjoy all your great books, and thanks for stopping by my mailbox!

    http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-november-20-2011.html

    PS: I love your blog colours! The wallpaper is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...