Saturday, November 5, 2011

In My Mailbox (Nov. 5th)


In My Mailbox is a meme created by Kristi over at The Story Siren. It gives us all a chance to share the awesome book related goodies that we've purchased or received over the last week with each other. As a shopaholic, this is definitely one of my favorite memes. But, I'm sure you know all of this stuff already. On with what you're here to see: this week's book related loot! :D


First up: here is the image of the books I got from my parents last week that my DSI totally didn't want to upload to facebook. Once again, thanks Mom & Dad. :)


I always get really excited when something new arrives in the mail, and I've been looking forward to both of these. On the left we have Flirting With Italian by Liz Fielding. On the right we have Dracula In Love by Kares Essex. For anyone who might be curious about these books, here are the summaries:

Bag: packed. Flight: booked. Soon I'll be in Rome and experiencing life in a foreign language! Watch this space...

Newly single Sarah Gratton is determined to enjoy her holiday -- could a just-for-fun romance with dark-eyed Matteo di Serrone be the answer? The Italian count is ideal flirting material ... if Sarah's brave enough to make a move!

Well she might not be -- but luckily Matteo is! Matteo decides to keep this mysterious woman close -- no hardship at all, given their spine tinging awareness of each other...

It's like something out of a fairy tale -- until Sarah realizes she's made the most rookie mistake of all: falling in love with her holiday fling...

I've already sat down and started reading Flirting with Italian and I am really enjoying it. While my primary focus on my blog is YA, I have read and enjoyed romance for years and this is proving to be my kind of book. Gorgeous setting, great characters, interesting plot. In case you're wondering? Yes, I will be reviewing it. I would like to thank Liz for sending it to me. :)

In this wonderfully transporting novel, award-winning author Karen Essex turns a timeless classic inside out, spinning a haunting, erotic, and suspenseful story of eternal love and possession.

From the shadowy banks of the river Thames to the wild and windswept Yorkshire coast, Dracula’s eternal muse, Mina Murray, vividly recounts the intimate details of what really transpired between her and the Count—the joys and terrors of a passionate affair that has linked them through the centuries, and her rebellion against her own frightening preternatural powers.

Mina’s version of this gothic vampire tale is a visceral journey into Victorian England’s dimly lit bedrooms, mist-filled cemeteries, and asylum chambers, revealing the dark secrets and mysteries locked within. Time falls away as she is swept into a mythical journey far beyond mortal comprehension, where she must finally make the decision she has been avoiding for almost a millennium.

Bram Stoker’s classic novel offered one side of the story, in which Mina had no past and bore no responsibility for the unfolding events. Now, for the first time, the truth of Mina’s personal voyage, and of vampirism itself, is revealed. What this flesh and blood woman has to say is more sensual, more devious, and more enthralling than the Victorians could have expressed or perhaps even have imagined.

I love anything to do with vampires. Always have. Likely always will. I don't know how I hadn't heard of this book before, but when I read the discription during a giveaway during October I couldn't resist entering. I'm looking forward to reading this the next time I'm in the mood for something ... biting. Yes, that was horrible and you are free to roll your eyes at me. 

Katie likes to believe she's invisible. It seems much safer than being exposed as she is--shy, poor, awkward. So getting up on stage in the school production of The Taming of the Shrew should be complete torture. But as Katie tells it, something totally unexpected happened when she stepped on stage: "My head exploded. I loved it. Acting hit me like a sucker punch and I loved, loved, loved it! . . . Invisible Katie became visible Katharina."

Evan Cooper is, as they say, another story. He knows just what it takes to get noticed, and he uses every one of the skills he's honed after years of being the new kid. Like tossing the keys to his father's high-end Audi to a kid he's never met, first day of school. "I have insurance for car theft," he explains to a shocked Danny. "And there's a full tank." An abuse of the power that comes with privilege and money? Sure.

But more dangerously, is his romance with Katie another version of the same thing? Or is it the real thing?

I just received an e-mail from Netgalley that I've been approved for this one. What caught my attention is that it is a retelling of The Taming of the Shrew. I'm a huge Shakespeare nut to begin with, and I have a soft spot for retellings. I'm particularly fond of the movie Ten Things I Hate About You, which is also a retelling of The Taming of the Shrew, so this looked like something that I would enjoy. I'll let you all know what I think. :)


One last thing: I wanted to show you all the lovely message from Liz inside my copy of Flirting with Italian. :) I have a handful of signed things that have either been sent to me or bought for me: a copy of Pieces of You by Jewel (a Christmas present from my best friend), my copy of Summer on Fire and now my copy of Flirting with Italian. I particularly love signed books. When I get stuck in my own writing I tend to keep one of these beside me. Might sound silly, but I find it encouraging. 

This Week's Question: 

I'm looking into purchasing a video camera / pocket camcorder / "something" so that I can do videos for IMM like a lot of you do. Anyone have any advice before I rush out and spend money? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Thanks so much for dropping by! I hope this week was kind to you. Feel free to link your mailbox and I'll drop by and have a look. Have a great day! 

18 comments:

  1. OHHHHH! Night Circus! I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Night Circus! Bought that a few weeks ago but haven't read it yet. Good luck on the video purchase - I have no advice haha

    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Night Circus! Yay. :D Not that I've read it yet, but I've started it and absolutely loved it. Cannot wait to continue! Enjoy your new reads. :)

    My IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's so awesome your parent's know what kind of books to buy you. I've had to explain to my parents 3 times what the Night Circus is and why I'm reading it.

    I really want Scorpio Races, it looks promising.

    I love getting a signed book too, it always makes me feel giddy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting THE SCORPIO RACES from the library this week. My hold has arrived. I am IN LOVE with THE NIGHT CIRCUS and can't wait to hear your thoughts!! Oh, I didn't realize that THE TAMING was a retelling. I saw it briefly on NG. Off to request it :)

    I use the Kodak PlaySport camera. I love it and it's water-proof. It IS small (cellphone size), so I haven't figured out how to prop it so I can film myself in front of the camera, but it works for my purposes and has good sound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have The Night Circus, I have to read it! I hear great things.

    As for video, I don't shoot vids, but my camera does GREAT HD quality videos. It's the Canon powershot S95 .. great little toy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want The Night Circus so I can find out what all the fuss is about. As for the video camera, you might want to look into a "Flip" video camera. I think they're pretty cheap, and the one I've used worked fine. You might also want to look at you digital camera first, most already come with video capture capabilities. If you want to see my IMM post, you can find it here. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dracula in love looks like it will be a beautiful and memorable read. I love those kind of books, happy reading!
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books this week, Kat! I really want to read The Night Circus. I read Dracula in Love last year and loved it!

    My IMM: http://sweetmarie-83.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-week-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the one from Net Gallery. I need to go over and request. Here is my list for this week.

    http://mixedbookbag.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-november-6-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been considering doing that as well! I think it would be fun to let people see more of who i am on video, rather than just what i type on my blog!

    here's my FIRST ever IMM! stop by?! :)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for my own copy of Scorpio Races to get to me! It sounds excellent. And the more I see Dracula In Love around, the more I wish I'd snagged it at the Borders closing sale when I saw it. Gah!

    http://jaimeliredeslivres.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED The Night Circus!! Enjoy :)

    Come visit my IMM and enter to win an Amazon Kindle Fire!

    -Amanda
    Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great set! I loved Scorpio Races. Can't wait to read Night Circus. No advice about the camcorder :-(
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great haul! I really want to read Night Circus, it sounds awesome. Enjoy!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you enjoy Night Circus! We read it for book club...it's a wonderfully weird little story. :)

    http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been trying to get my hands on the Night Circus but have been unsuccessful so far. My mom has a copy though, so I get to read hers after :) Happy reading!

    Tiffany
    My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dracula in Love is so on my radar. Sounds sexy and dark. Two of my favorite things to read about! (:

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...