Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Top Ten Books That Have Been On My Shelf And Not Been Read


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here atThe Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


I love to shop. So it stands to reason that I buy a lot more books then I can generally handle reading, especially when review requests, gifts from friends, prizes from contests, etc. get taken into account. Here are the ten books I've had on my shelf longest since starting I Write, I Read, I Review and my guess as to why they're still there.

Keturah and Lord Death
by Marlene Leavitt

Purchased: August 2011

Wanted Because: Someone falls in love with Death. I had to have it.

Reason Unread: I'm really eager to read this, but see this idea done in ways that don't work (in my opinion!) way too often.
Delirium
by Lauren Oliver

Date Purchased: August 2011

Wanted Because: Jay chose this one for me.

Reason Unread: I've heard that this book is incredibly sad and I am a complete and utter chicken. 
Firelight
by Sophie Jordan

Date Purchased: September 2011

Wanted Because: Dragons that end up living on earth? I thought the idea seemed totally cool and original and I really wanted to check it out.

Reason Unread: I've tried to start this book twice and the timing just hasn't felt right for some reason. I don't like to "force" a book if I don't have to. 
I Am Number Four
by Pitacus Lore

Date Purchased: September 2011

Wanted Because: The idea behind the book seemed interesting.

Reason Unread: I've been doing a lot of theme reading and this book hasn't fit into that schedule.
Matched
by Ally Condie

Date Purchased: September 2011

Wanted Because: I love dystopian fiction and I didn't have enough money to get this when I did my August order.

Reason Unread: I got busy reading other books and basically forgot that I had this. By the time I remembered I was doing a paranormal theme for Halloween.  
The Boyfriend List
by E. Lockhart

Date Purchased: September 2011

Wanted Because: This was recommended to me by some friends on Absolute Write.

Reason Unread: I didn't want to read this during Halloween and I've been too busy this month with doing a lot of Book Tour and review request stuff.
Glow
by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Date Purchased: October 2011

Wanted Because: Jay won a copy of this from Benji over at The Non Reluctant Reader and we hope to read it together, so I needed a copy too.

Reason Unread: I read faster then Jay and he still hasn't started it yet. I might save this for the Science Fiction Challenge I signed up for, too.
Incarceron
by Catherine Fisher

Date Purchased: October 2011

Wanted Because: I read about this somewhere and it sounded really interesting, so when Jay and I went to Chapters I decided to pick it up.

Reason Unread: As with many of the books I have listed, I've just been way too busy. 
Starcrossed
by Josephine Angelini

Date Purchased: October 2011

Wanted Because: Greek Mythology meets Romeo and Juliet? I had to buy this.

Reason Unread: I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.
XVI
by Julia Karr

Date Purchased: October 2011

Wanted Because: The book sounds really interesting to me and I've had some people request that I review it.

Reason Unread: Yet again, I've simply been way too busy. 


The terrifying thing, for me, is that this is not a complete list of the books I've purchased for myself that I haven't read yet. What else do I have sitting here? Lets see... This Lullaby and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, Love Story by Jennifer Echols, The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen and The Iron Knight by Julia Kagawa, City of Bone and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare, Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.

I'm drowning. And Christmas is coming, which will likely mean that pile is going to get even bigger.

So, anyone have any requests of what they'd like to see reviewed in the (relatively) near future? I'd love to know. :) I'm also curious what books have been gathering dust on your shelves, too. Please feel free to leave a comment.

14 comments:

  1. Oh please read Delirium..I'm telling you it is a must read...it is sooooo good!Actually no, good isn't the right word it is Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to crack up when you see my list if your longstanding books were all purchased this year. Ha! Take a look.

    Anne@Head Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many good books on your list! I am a major cry baby, and Delirium did not make me want to shed a tear once. I mean... I cried during an episode of Full House... and Modern Family... and Terra Nova. I cry a lot. You'll be fine. :)

    I have never heard of Ketura and Lord Death! I need to research that one.

    I loved Matched. Gah! I love your list! I've either read them, or want them.

    - Jana @ http://thatartsyreadergirl.blogspot.com/

    (Although today was my day to post the TTT at The Broke and the Bookish as well, so you may have already read my list!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delirium is a great book, I loved that one! Although you might want to read it when the sequel comes out because it's got one of those endings where you want to jump straight into the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Firelight on my list, too. It looks good, but I just haven't gotten to it. I really liked XVI, I'm really looking forward to the second one :0)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with not forcing a book. I can't wait to read XVI, hope you get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Keturah and Lord Death, great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only book I read on your list is Delerium and I really liked it. Good luck getting through your pile - you have a ton of good books on there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of Incarceron - added it to my wishlist!
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these either except for I Am #4!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to read Delirium for a while now - it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how there's an endless supply of books that I want to read - but it does sadden me when I can't get to a lot of them because I have no time. :(

    I loved I Am Number Four, and am meaning to start Incarceron soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I lost interest in reading I Am Number Four after watching the movie. That's not to say that the movie isn't good, but it satiated my curiosity enough that the book slipped down on my TBR list.

    I still haven't read Firelight or Delirium yet, either. I must get on that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...