Friday, November 25, 2011

2011 Holiday Buyers' Guide


*Note: This holiday gift guide is 100% my own idea. I am in no way being compensated by any of the authors, publishers, etc. that I have listed below. Thank you. 

Looking for the perfect gift for that book obsessed person in your life? Well, if they happen to like Young Adult books then you have likely come to the right place. Below you will find an awesome selection of books, all linked to reviews either by myself or my friends. Take a look around. I'm fairly confident that you'll find just what you're looking for.

Happy Holidays!


Spectacular Series...

Are you looking for a totally completed, start to finish reading experience that will take the recipient's breath away? Something that will induce many hours snuggled up by the fire flipping through pages? Look no further. Here are some amazing series that are sure to delight...

Harry Potter Paperback Boxset (books 1 - 7)

If the person you are buying for has not experienced the magic, adventure and wonder of the Harry Potter books, now is as good a time as any to change that. This boxset contains all seven books and at the asking price, I think it's quite a bargain.

$50.00 at Amazon.com

Percy Jackson boxset (books 1 - 5)

Does someone on your list love Greek Mythology? If so the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan are sure to be a huge hit. Filled with adventure, memorable characters and gripping fast paced plots the Percy Jackson books are sure to bring hours of delight.

$21.00 at Amazon.com

Vampire Academy Boxset (books 1 - 4)
*note: for a complete set you will also need Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice.

Is there someone on your list who likes vampires and romance? Then the Vampire Academy series might be the perfect fit. It follows Rose, who is training as a Guardian so that she can protect her best friend, and her relationship with her handsome instructor Dmitri.

$25 on Amazon.com

The Hunger Games Hardcover Boxset (books 1 - 3)

Suzanne Collins' gripping Dystopian trilogy will captivate even the most reluctant reader with its blend of action, romance, intrigue and exploration of the depths we'll go to to protect the ones we love. One of my favorite series I've read this year, I cannot recommend The Hunger Games enough.

Reviews:
The Hunger Games: 4/5 hearts
Catching Fire: 5/5 hearts
Mockingjay: 4/5 hearts

$22 on Amazon.com <-- Super Awesome Deal!

Perfect Chemistry trilogy by Simeone Eskeles

Simone Eskeles will enchant fans of well written contemporary romance not once but three times if you place these three fantastic books under the Christmas tree. The Perfect Chemistry books are some of my favorite contemporary reads this year and are truly not to be missed.


Reviews:
Perfect Chemistry: 5/5 hearts | $9.99 on Amazon.com
Rules of Attraction: 5/5 hearts | $9.99 on Amazon.com
Chain Reaction: 5/5 hearts | $12.00 on Amazon.com



Dystopian Delights...

Dystopian novels are hot this year. They're "it", the thing everyone is reading. And it's no wonder. There have been some totally fantastic releases; so many that I haven't actually been able to read them all -- heck, not even all of them I currently have on my shelves. What is dystopian? In short, if your loved one enjoyed The Hunger Games, this is the next step. Read on for some great selections...

Divergent
by Veronica Roth

This is my top pick in the Dystopian category. I absolutely loved Divergent, so much that I read the whole thing in one sitting even though it's nearly 500 pages long. Filled with fantastic characters, lots of action, a little mystery and a great romance this book hits all the right notes.

My review: 5/5 hearts | $10.79 on Amazon.com

Bumped
by Megan McCafferty

The blend of fun, fresh dialogue, interesting characters and a world with a very serious and shocking issue will keep readers turning the pages of this absolutely wonderful book. Bumped was a book that I was incredibly eager to read and it met my every expectation. Highly recommended!

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $10.98 on Amazon.com

Wither
by Lauren DeStefano

When I first read the back blurb for this book I was shocked. How in the world did someone write this? Relax. Wither is fantastic. A chilling premise, a strong heroine and gorgeous writing make Wither a tale that will stick with the reader long after the book is closed. This book is an absolute must read.

My Review: 4/5 hearts | $10.98 on Amazon.com



Fantasy, Science Fiction & Paranormal...

Dearly, Departed
by Lia Habel

Know someone who likes their supernatural creatures ... romantic? Well then, it's time to introduce them to a very charming zombie named Bram Griswold and a brave human girl named Nora Dearly. Dearly, Departed is an absolutely fabulous tale filled with action, romance, mystery and suspense. I really loved this book and I'm eager to recommend it.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $10.98 on Amazon.com

The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa

Shopping for someone who loves faeries? The Iron Fey books by Julie Kagawa are beautifully written, filled with memorable characters and next to impossible to put down. Filled with action, romance and memorable characters this is a series that is sure to please fans of fantasy, magic and love.

My Review: 4/5 hearts | $9.99 on Amazon.com

Sisters Red
by Jackson Pearce

So you think you know the story of Little Red Riding Hood? Well, you've never heard it told like this. Filled with heart pounding action, sweet romance and a dash of mystery, Jackson Pearce will captive you with this fascinating new take on a classic tale. I really loved this one.

My Review: 4/5 hearts | $9.99 on Amazon.com

Obsidian
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

A fresh take on the idea of aliens living among us. Okay -- hot aliens who happen to put their foot in their mouth often, if we're talking about Daemon. This book is awesome. The chemistry between Katy and Daemon is intense, the pace of the story is perfect and the mythology for the aliens is fascinating. I had to list this, even though it's not *quite* released.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $15.99 on Amazon.com (Releases Dec. 6th)


For The One Who's Read Everything...

There are those pesky people, who are pesky by no real fault of their own. The trouble is that it seems they've read everything. Well, I've got you covered there, too. I've read some totally fantastic books this year that are a little off the beaten path. Just pick the one that suits the tastes of the person you're buying for and you should be good to go.

Summer on Fire
by Kevin Craig

A story of friendship, loyalty and courage Summer on Fire tells the tale of three boys trying to protect a brother's innocence. It is also an exquisite look at life in a rural town in Canada in the 1980s, capturing the period perfectly in voice, description and spirit. A gripping and memorable tale.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $7.95 on Amazon.com

Mortal Obligation
by Nichole Chase

Ree and her friends are all that stands between humanity and totally and utter destruction. With her friends, who are now her guardians, will Ree be able to summon the courage needed to defend Earth when the price of her gift is that she will be separated from those she loves if they don't win -- or even if they do?

My Review: 4/5 hearts | $9.99 on Amazon.com

Boyfriend from Hell
by E. Van Lowe

Even the best mother / daughter relationship can be headed straight for hell when your mom starts dating the Devil -- literally. In this book E. Van Lowe creates a fascinating story using this unique premise and it will leave readers moved, terrified and laughing out loud in equal turns.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $12.95 on Amazon.com

Remembrance
by Michelle Madow

A sweet and touching romance with just a hint of something out of the ordinary, Remembrance is the perfect book to read while curled up next to a roaring fire. Filled with charming characters and a compelling plot, Michelle Madow's debut will please any romantics on your list.

My Review: 4/5 hearts | $10.79 on Amazon.com


The Kat's Meow...

The Kat's Meow is my hand designed award that I give to books that I feel have gone beyond five stars. These are books that totally, completely blew me away. They have a certain sparkle about them, something within that I personally connected with. It is my pleasure to share these with you. Perhaps there is someone on your list who would love them as much as I do.

The Sky Is Everywhere
by Jandy Nelson

An absolute must read for fans of contemporary YA, romance and absolutely gorgeous writing. Nobody captures loss -- and hope -- as beautifully as Jandy Nelson does in this absolutely spellbinding book. I found myself completely awed and moved. I could not put it down and I thought about it for weeks after I finished it.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $8.99 on Amazon.com

Shut Out
by Kody Keplinger

An intriguing plot, likable characters, a totally swoon-worthy crush and some issues worth thinking about are just a handful of the reasons that I love Shut Out. The dialogue is both real and extremely funny and the pacing in this book is perfect, holding interest from start to finish. If you're shopping for a fan of contemporary YA this should be a winner.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $11.12 on Amazon.com

Carrier of the Mark
by Leigh Fallon

A fresh and original mythology, characters who are not afraid to take action and a romance that is sweet yet forbidden... Carrier of the Mark was an absolute joy to read and is a book that I will not hesitate to recommend. Everything about this book came together to totally draw me in, hook me, and not let go.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $8.99 on Amazon.com

The Scarlet Dagger
by Krystle Jones

A thrilling action-packed adventure with a strong heroine, a charming hero who might be friend or foe and a fresh new take on vampire mythology. The Scarlet Dagger impressed me time and again. This book is absolutely not to be missed. Fans of action, adventure and romance would do well to check it out.

My Review: 5/5 hearts | $0.99 on Amazon.com (Note: this is an eBook)


And there you have it! A holiday buyers' guide for YA lovers complete with a wide range of books to suit (hopefully!) every taste. If you are a book blogger and have any books you would like to add to this list, along with your review, please feel free to let me know. I would be happy to feature them and credit you.

I hope that this guide is of assistance and that it helps at least a few of you beat some of that annoying holiday shopping anxiety. I wish you all the best this holiday season!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kat...this is an incredible list. Thanks so much for putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very great list!!! And I love every book in this list. Thank you so much for this, and I hope you have a great holiday shopping too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this list! Some of them will soon appear on my Christmas wish list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This list is great! I really need to pick up the Percy Jackson books at some point. And I keep hearing about Sisters Red; it sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...