Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday Spotlight #2: The Fairytale Nerd


Hello and welcome to the second edition of Saturday Spotlight here at I Write, I Read, I Review. This is the place where I invite fellow book bloggers to chat about all of the awesome things going on within their own slice of the book blogging pie. And do I have a treat for you this week! Please join me in welcoming JoAnne from The Fairytale Nerd. :)

Kathy: Thanks so much for joining us today. Now let's get right to the good stuff, shall we? So, why did you start blogging?

JoAnne: My name is JoAnne. I am in my twenties. I am from Manila, Philippines.

My blog is still a baby... I started blogging on July 2, 2011, but before that, I stalked book blogs. I have always wanted to have a book blog, but I just did not have the time as I was still in law school. Last March 2011, I was finally released from the hell that is law school, and now I have the time to do whatever I want.

Kathy: What do you guys view as your greatest accomplishment as book bloggers?

JoAnne: I don't know if blabbing about books is an accomplishment for me - it comes easily as I can talk about books all day, most especially the Iron Fae series. (My fave...) 

Kathy: Yes, I love them too. Much thanks to fellow book bloggers, like you, who convinced me to give the books a chance.

JoAnne: A mini accomplishment, I guess, would be organizing my on-going blog event "31 Days of Fairy." You see, I invited authors to do interviews and guest blogs, and I wasn't sure they would agree. And like anyone, I am afraid of rejection! Thankfully, most of the authors agreed. And I consider it an honor having them on my baby blog.

Kathy: *laughs* Whew! If 31 Days of Fairy is a mini accomplishment, I can't imagine what a large one would be. I think you've done a fantastic job with your event. :)

Kathy: What advice would you give to other bloggers?

JoAnne: Simple, be polite. Rudeness does not have a place in blogging - or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Kathy: Care to share some of the blogs you love to visit? 

JoAnne: Oh! I have so many!!! But my favorite is Kai's book blog, Amaterasu Reads. Kai is also a Filipino like me, and I actually look up to her when it comes to books and blogging. I remember having a problem with a giveaway, so I emailed her, and she helped me. She's really approachable and friendly.

Kathy: What fabulous thing(s) are you doing on your blog right now? Got anything awesome planned for the future?

JoAnne: I LOVE FAIRIES. So for my first project, I have arranged "31 Days of Fairy."  Most (not all) of the book recaps and weekly memes will be about fae books. I have also invited authors of fae (or similar) books to do author interviews and guest posts! And of course, giveaways! EVERYTHING FAIRIES.

Kathy: Yes. Fairies can definitely be awesome. If I end up loving the rest of the Iron Fey series as much as I loved The Iron King, I might have to organize something themed about it. But now I'm getting off topic...

Kathy: Alright. We've done a lot of talk about blogging. Now let's get to the good stuff. Books! First up: I'm sure you've read lots of books. Is there one you really love? A book you would feel confident in calling an absolute must read? why do you love it? What makes it great?

JoAnne: The Iron Fey Series. I am completely addicted to it. To say that I am obsessed with it is an understatement. I have read each book a thousand times. I love it because whenever I read it, I am taken to a world where I can never go to in real life. Talking cats. Moving trees. Weird weird things. I have a thing for "Alice in Wonderland" books, and a strange and creepy world like the Nevernever fits the bill.

Kathy: I definitely agree about loving the otherworldly-ness of the books. For me, The Iron King remind me of old school role playing games, only with far better writing, because each character is very distinct and serves certain purposes throughout the adventure.

Kathy: And then there are all of those books that are coming out in the future. It never really stops. So, what upcoming book are you dying to read? What about it has you excited? And what crazy, zany thing would you do if it meant you could have it *right now*? :D 

JoAnne: Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck. I am eager to read it because of Ren. The second book ended in a way that I did not like (like the second book in a series always do), and I would like to see a happy, happy ending for a change. I am not athletic, but I would a run a marathon to get it. haha! 

Kathy: Aha! Yet another series I've been meaning to get around to but haven't yet. Will my TBR pile ever stop growing so I can catch up? (I doubt it.)

Kathy: Okay! Now it's your turn to ask everyone a question. :)

JoAnne: haha! Well, I have one "this or that" question that I always include in my interviews, and that is...

Choose: the one who loves you, or the one you love.

Kathy: *Pauses for a moment, thinking before answering* It would be easy to say I would want someone who loves me. But that's not always how it works. I think that keeping someone around if I didn't love them would be cruel, and that having to tell someone I didn't love them would feel awful. I think I'd rather be in love with someone and not have them feel the same way. At least I know I can, and have, survived that.

(To the audience:) How about you guys? Which would you choose? Feel free to leave your answer in the comments. :)

Kathy: Thanks so much for joining me today for Saturday Spotlight. :) It's been really fun interviewing you and I'm sure that our blogs will be taking part in things again in the future. 

JoAnne: Thank you for inviting me to be part of Saturday Spotlight... I do hope that our book blogs will be good friends. 

Kathy: Absolutely! How could they not? We both love The Iron Fey! :D

5 comments:

  1. Fun interview! I am now following JoAnne's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jessica: Glad to hear it. Here blog is awesome and definitely worth following. :) I love doing these spotlights. I've gotten to interview some really great people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy!! Thank you very much for having me on your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Fairytale Nerd's blog! New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Fairytale Nerd's blog! New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...