Friday, October 21, 2011

Follow My Book Blog Friday (Oct. 21st)


Q.What superhero is your alter-ego?

What a fun question! I couldn't narrow it down to just one, so I'll list my three favorites who immediately came to mind:

Adora from She-Ra

Why She Rocks:

Even before Adora gains her powers as She-Ra, she is already a really strong character. She was separated from her family by Hordak, who kidnapped her and raised her to be a Force Captain for the Horde on Eitheria. Adora's strength isn't necessarily as physical as She-Ra's, but she has incredible internal fortitude, a solid code of justice and honor (Fitting, since her transformation phrase is "For the honor of grayskull!") Adora, not She-Ra, leads the rebellion with Glimmer and Bow. Plus, it's Adora who dates Seahawk, too. Further, while the character is more motherly as She-Ra, I always found Adora more real and relatable.

Jean Gray from X-Men

Why She Rocks:

Jean, how I love thee. Let me count the ways: I love the fact that she is so powerful that her powers actually needed to be hidden from her. She is not as certain or confident as some of the other X-Men because of this. It's not that she is timid or incapable, but rather that her situation makes her more vulnerable as a character. Which turns around in a complete 180 when Phoenix gets added to the equation (and don't get me wrong, I love Phoenix, too.) But she is also, essentially, the voice for the X-Men. She is incredibly smart both as a member of the team and in ways that are valuable outside of it. (She is a doctor, she speaks out about mutant registration, etc.) Lastly, she's with Scott (Cyclops), who was one of the heroes I was obsessed with as a kid. (Sorry Logan (Wolverine) fans, but I am totally Jean + Scott all the way.) 

But if I have to choose someone that I want to be, I think I can narrow it down to...

Lita (Sailor Jupiter) from Sailor Moon

Why She Rocks:

What I love about Lita is that she is the balancing force of the Sailor Scouts. (The same could be said, to some extent, of Mina / Sailor Venus, but it takes forever for her to show up..) While Amy is knee deep in the (scholarly) books and Rai is dead serious about everything and helping grandpa at the temple, Lita often hangs out with Serena. But unlike Serena, Lita can go from being totally fun-loving and cheerful to being ready to kick butt in roughly ten seconds.

On top of this, there is the fact that Lita can be a very complicated character. Prior to joining the Sailor Scouts she had a rep for getting into fights. That temper can serve her very well when fighting the Negaverse and other baddies that the scouts deal with, but it keeps her character in check, preventing it from being perfect. Other fun facts include that she loves to cook, she is an amazing ice skater and she is totally, ridiculously 100% boy crazy (which my 14 or 15 year old self though was "so cool" at the time.) 

It also doesn't hurt that her powers look totally awesome:


Tell me you wouldn't love having that at your disposal if you were in danger? Sign me up! (While we're on the topic and since Halloween is almost here, I actually *did* go as Lita when I was in the 8th grade.) 

So, who did you pick as your super-hero alter-ego? I'd love to know, so feel free to leave a comment! 

24 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy.. just hopping by :) Hope you have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices although Adora is my favourite. Thanks for stopping by www.clairesbookcorner.blogspot.com

    Have a great FF :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a blast reading everyone's answer. I'm familiar with your choices too. :D I can't believe I've forgotten Adora. Great short in-depth character views of each chosen heroine. She-ra and He-Man were one of the best cartoon shows then. I mean who have thought The Sorceress is Teela's Mom plus they have a moral lesson at the end of the show. I remember how riveted I was to the TV that my parents thought I was a cartoon junkie. lolz. If only they followed the series they'd know why. Yay! I also ship Jean + Scott too. I thought it was interesting character flaw to give to Jean considering she was the highest level telepath next to the Prof X. I remember SailorMoon and Tuxedo Mask. :D Happy Friday! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Great choices. !!

    I love the satin look of your blog, very luxurious!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn’t you stick to one? ;)

    Just hopping back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm indecisive or an overachiever -- or maybe an indecisive overachiever? :p I'll let you guys sort that one out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx for hopping through my site! Too funny you posted three... but after checking out your blog a minute, that makes sense. Do you read one book at a time? Just curious!! :-)

    Have a great Friday!! www.burgandyice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I used to love Sailor Moon so much!! It was like the show for me (until they suddenly stopped showing it on USA in the mornings :)) I look back at it now, and I don't love how silly Serena was, but my favorite would probably be Sailor Mars. She was such a tough chick! Plus, kudos on choosing Dr. Grey. She's an excellent choice. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and nice to meet ya,
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much choices! I love Jean Gray, she is such a fascinating character.
    Is Sailor Moon still running? I remember this one from my teenage years, which wasn't recently ;)

    Happy Friday!
    My FF post

    ReplyDelete
  10. =D I love Jean and Lita! Lita was also one of my favorite Sailor Scouts growing up. I think it's really cool you dressed up as her one Halloween. I had a lot of the Sailor Moon "toys" when I was obsessed with them. Not sure where they went though. =|

    I haven't really heard of your first one though, but I think I'll have to take a look and see about She-Ra.

    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love She-Ra. I MEAN IT! I thought about picking her but then I thought Wonder Woman was better for me.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love ALL your picks! haha. Big She-Ra fan, and Jean is fantastic. As for Sailors, though, I always liked Mercury and Saturn best. :)

    http://jaimeliredeslivres.blogspot.com/2011/10/follow-friday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your choices! They all sound super awesome. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping through. I don't remember Adora but I was a huge She-ra fan. He-man too.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  15. I confess that I haven't heard of your super heroes but I love it that you have three alter-egos!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    Anne
    Headfullofbooks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved She-Ra when I was younger
    New follower, Here's mine
    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe you picked Force Captain Adora! Wow, I adored her (hee) when I was younger. Talk about a blast from the past - what a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I so LOVE Jupiter! And despite what you wrote on your comment on my blog, you didn't butcher her name at all! You just went with the English dub version, no butchering lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog-content is awesome! I was gonna pick Jean Grey from X-men, but went w/ Jasper instead...thanks for coming by my blog! New follower!

    Have a great week!
    Teresa
    The Duchess Mommy Reads

    PS: Giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. while the character is more motherly as She-Ra, I always found Adora more real and relatable.


    Book Of Ra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...