Sunday, October 2, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness: October 2011


So I have seen this image on several peoples' blogs and today I finally decided to click it. This is such a great idea and I am very excited that I will be taking part. For anyone like me who hasn't head of R.A.K. (Random Acts of Kindness) here are the rules, straight from the host site, Book Soulmates.



COMPLETE RULES RE-CAP:
Please read carefully & follow all rules!

  • Please sign-up each month that you can participate (and by participate, we mean give as well as receive).
  • Show off your participation by grabbing our RAK button (code is in the sidebar).
  • Create a wish list (on Amazon, Goodreads, or your blog etc) and post it in the Google Doc located in each R.A.K post for the month.
  • If you choose to do a R.A.K for someone, check out their wish list and contact that blogger directly for their information.
  • Once you receive a RAK, send us an our new email to [rakbybooksoulmates @ gmail . com] so that we can update the Google Doc. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SEND EMAILS TO THIS ADDRESS!
  • E-book participation is limited to files being gifted directly to a person from the e-book store. Amazon's Kindle Store is set up to allow this, as well as the Kobo store and we believe Barnes & Noble as well.
  • At the end of the month, SHOW US YOUR R.A.K by making a "RAK Wrap-Up" post.  This post should include who you SENT gifts to as well who you RECEIVED gifts from :)
OPEN TO EVERYONE including all our International brethren!
Remember, there's always the Book Depository and they offer FREE shipping!


Easy peezy!!

You can find my complete Book Depository wishlist here.


For fun, I thought I would share three books I am dying to read and why I am anxious to read them. I'm only doing this so the post will have a bit more solid sense of purpose. :) No pressure. :p

Die For Me
by Amy Plum

Summary: (from GoodReads)

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?


Why I Want It: A love story, immortal enemies, some kind of terrifying destiny... I love this sort of thing and the summary has me intrigued. It doesn't hurt that the cover is totally gorgeous, either. The way that the book is described sets it up in a way where I simply must know what happens, as well as what has been happening (with regard to Vincent's destiny.)

Why I Haven't Bought It Yet: This book has been a string of bad luck as far as making a purchase goes. I've forgotten the name, or it's been sold out, or the store has claimed to have it in stock and a clerk could not find it... You get the idea. It's been one of those books. ;)

If I Stay
by Gayle Forman

Summary: (from GoodReads)

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces - to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

Why I Want It: I have heard such good things about this that I simply must check it out.

Why I Haven't Bought It Yet: I have been focusing the majority of my book buying this last little while on getting the books I wanted to read for October, which means lots of paranormal and fantastical creatures. So this has been kinda on the back burner for the time being.

Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 


For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Why I Want It: I meant to read this ages ago and didn't get around to it. From what I have heard this is likely going to be a love it or hate it book. I am curious to find out what I think of it. I also got a bit wary of this book when I didn't like Fallen by Lauren Kate. Kinda made me leery of angel books for a while. But I had a similar situation with Faerie books and recently finished Julie Kagawa's The Iron King and loved that, so perhaps angels deserve another chance, too.

Why I Haven't Bought It Yet: I almost bought this when I was on vacation in Florida back in 2010 but I was worried about not overspending, so I ended up passing. From there I ended up busy with other things and forgot about it for a time. When I got into book blogging, I heard how mixed peoples' views of the book were and felt that would not be a good place to start while figuring out how to write a proper review. Now that I'm more comfortable, there's no longer a reason to stall from reading this. 

So, have you read any of these? Any thoughts in general? And what books would you love to find in your mailbox thanks to a random act of kindness? I'd love to know, so feel free to leave a comment. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...