Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Top Ten Books I'd Like To Give As Gifts...


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is hard for me. I have a very small, close knit group of family and friends. And most of them aren't readers. Then I have all of you fine people, but I don't always necessarily know what you've read and what you haven't. So here's what I'm going to do. I'll list five personalized things that I would like to give and then I'll make five recommendations. Sound good? Great. Let's go. 

Books I'd Like To Gift: 

Dearly, Departed
by Lia Habel
Who I'd Give It To: My Aunt Brenda

Why?: My aunt loves stories that are well written and that mix action and romance. She also likes things that are fresh and original. I think that Dearly, Departed succeeds at all of these things. Plus, this is one recommendation I'm actually acting on. I hope she enjoys it as much as I think she will! 

The Percy Jackson series
by Rick Riordan
Who I'd Give It To: My brother, Shawn

Why?: We picked up the first book, The Lightning Thief, and both really loved it. We've meant to pick up the boxed set for a while now and haven't gotten to it. Okay -- actually I grabbed it last night at WalMart and gave it to him early. I couldn't resist. 

The Mephisto Covenant
by Trinity Faegen
Who I'd Give It To: My mother

Why?: This book is perfect for her. I know she will really like Jax, and that while I had issues with Sasha she is the kind of character my mom will defend up and down. I know she'll appreciate the excellent world building and that this is the kind of pacing she likes in a story. Plus it will give us another series to follow together.

The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa
Who I'd Give It To: My boyfriend, Jay

Why?: This book has a very adventurous "questy" feel to it that I know Jay will appreciate as a gamer if he opens it up, reads a couple chapters and gives it a chance. I really need him to get up off his butt and pick this up before I do it for him, because I'm stalling on the other three books so we can read them together and it is killing me! 

The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins
Who I'd Give It To: My dad

Why?: This book has the emotional impact to create a quality story and the action needed to keep someone turning the pages. My dad really isn't a big reader, though, so I am very glad that a movie is being made of this. I know some of you will cringe at the thought of seeing the movie without reading the book, but for some people books just can't be connected to for various reasons.

Books I Recommend:

Shut Out
by Kody Keplinger
Who Will Love It: Contemporary YA fans

Why?: A swoon-worthy hero, a heroine who sticks to her guns and uses her brain, and an interesting solution to an annoying problem are all parts of what make Shut Out a fantastic read. Written with sharp, witty dialogue and an honest look at the power of teen sexuality, this book has a lot to say and says it well.

Obsidian
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Who Will Love It: Those looking for a love story with a memorable hero

Why?: Daemon may be the most infuriating hero in the history of romance, but his character is very well balanced and Obsidian's heroine, Katy, has no qualms in standing up to him. I loved the way these two play off each other, the world building here was superb and the chemistry between Daemon and Katy could set the book on fire. Highly recommended!

Divergent
by Veronica Roth
Who Will Love It: Those who want adventure

Why?: Divergent hits the ground running and doesn't stop. This book has memorable characters, a great romance, a fascinating version of the future and danger lurking everywhere. It's a long book -- nearly 500 pages -- but that didn't stop me from devouring it in one sitting. I could not put this down! 

The Key
by Felicia Rogers
Who Will Love It: Paranormal fans seeking something fresh and different

Why?: The Key is a fantastic tale that centers around a fresh, original mythology involving a creature you've probably never seen at the center of a paranormal romance before. What is it? You'll have to read to find that out. But trust me, it's great! In addition to the romance, The Key involves an interesting mystery and a fair amount of danger and adventure. 
The Scarlet Dagger
by Krystle Jones
Who Will Love It: Fans of vampires, strong heroines or dystopian fiction

Why?: With an original and interesting take on vampirism, characters who have depth and grow as the story progresses and lots of action, romance and intrigue The Scarlet Dagger has something to offer everyone. I was immediately drawn into the story and enjoyed every moment I spent with it. 


So, what books would you like to gift? What books would you suggest others add to their wishlists? I'd love to know so feel free to leave a comment! 

2 comments:

  1. Great books. I had a hard time figuring out how to tackle this list.

    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for listing my book, "The Key", as one of your top ten reads! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. :)

    feliciarogersauthor@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...