Saturday, December 3, 2011

In My Mailbox (Dec. 3rd)


In my Mailbox is a weekly feature created by Kristi over at The Story Siren where we get to share all of the fabulous things that we were sent, that we bought or that we borrowed during the past week.

I hope everybody's been having an awesome week. :D If you couldn't tell, December is already in full swing over here. I haven't had time to post! I've been doing plenty of reading, though: I'm a good chunk of the way through The Key by Felicia Rogers and The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen. But you guys aren't here to hear about my reading progress. You're here to see mailbox goodies. And that's a good thing, because this week's mailbox is truly epic! Read on for all the details!

For Review:

Replication: The Jason Experiment
by Jill Williamson
When Your Life Is Not Your Own

Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky.

Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars.

As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known.

I'll spare you guys the mushy "this book sounds epic!" spree that I did in last week's Waiting on Wednesday. Instead, I'd like to thank Joanne over at The Fairytale Nerd for letting me know this was available via NetGalley, and the lovely people at Zondervan for approving my request to review it.

The Key
by Felicia Rogers
A teenage girl suffering from a family tragedy, Maddie Clevenger is oblivious to the ancient mystery surrounding her. She’s young and incredibly unlucky, in life and in love. She should be enjoying her senior year of high school, but instead she is tormented by a reoccurring nightmare and a very real stalker. But all that changes when Chase Donovan, an Air Force brat with a protective streak, shows up at school. Will Chase be the key to helping her solve her stalker problem? Will he be the key to solving the mystery surrounding her family’s past?

I'm reading this as part of Bloggerhood of the Traveling Book, an event being hosted by DarkFallen and Greta over at Paranormal Wastelands. And I am so glad, because this book is absolutely fantastic! I'm incredibly happy to see such an interesting and original book making the rounds, and I am (I will admit...) a little sad that this book and I will be parting was later this week. But that just means I'll need to get my own copy. Here are a couple images that I took...


Here's how it came in the mail. On the left we have the instruction sheet and bookmarks. On the right is the actual book. Keep an eye out for my review, but I can tell you this is a book I'll be recommending.


My message in the book. It says: "A delightful tale. I loved it!", Kathy Ann from www.katreads.com, Napanee, Ontario.

I Won:


Lost in Time by Melissa De La Cruz, book #6 in the Blue Bloods series. I got into these books a few years ago but I've fallen behind so this will help with catching back up.

A Surprise:


My Moo Mini-Cards came in early! They weren't estimated to arrive until Dec. 19th but I got them on Wednesday! I chose the background from my blog as the backing, and the kitten on the front is the icon from the Kat's Meow Award. I love them! Credit for discovering Klout and hearing about Moo Mini Cards goes to Kristi over at The Story Siren.

I Bought:

First up, thanks goes to Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte for letting me know that Chapters was having one of their fabulous Buy 3 Get 1 FREE sales. My parents wanted to go to Kingston to get their hair done, so I tagged along. We had a really good time! I love these and (as usual) I went a little crazy:


Remember a few weeks ago when I got this with my copy of Nyx In The House of Night and I was really super excited about it?


... Well now it has the book to match. The Mephisto Covenant has been one of my most anticipated books for months and I got my hands on the ONLY copy Chapters had in stock. You have *no* idea how careful I was with this once I got ahold of it. I kept panicking that if I set it down someone else would scoop it up. By the way, I'm reading it now and I'm really enjoying it. Review coming soon!


Here's another book I've been talking about a lot. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour was recommended to me by Marie over at Ramblings of a Daydreamer and when I went out it was one of the books i was really hoping I'd be bringing home. I had to get a little help finding this one, but here it is. :) 


There are many, many people who have recommended that I read Across the Universe by Beth Revis and that many people cannot be wrong. Plus, I'm doing the 2012 Science Fiction challenge over at Working for the Mandroid so this should fit into my 2012 reading schedule perfectly. 


Another book I've been getting a lot of "You've got to read this!" about, The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Added bonus: I just found out this is the book club selection over at Bookurious so it will get to serve double duty. Looks like you'll be hearing my thoughts about it sometime this month.


About darn time, right? How long have I been talking about this one? Hush, Hush is one of those books that has simply "eluded capture" for lack of any other explanation. It's time I sat down, dived in and found out what I think of Patch and Nora. 


Alas, I did not get the pretty cover. But I needed another book to get the deal and I've wanted to read Nightshade for a while, so I figured "Why not?" Now I just need to find time to read it! 


I've heard so much love and praise for Unearthly that I simply must see what all of the fuss is about. The premise sounds interesting and the cover is gorgeous, plus this was one of my free books (the other was Hush, Hush) so what do I have to lose? 


Another of the books that was at the top of my "must buy" list when I went in. Joanne, over at The Fairytale Nerd, is hoping I'll read these so we can discuss them. So I'm really hoping I'll love this book. (I still need to read The Iron Fey books, too. I'm so far behind!) Looks gorgeous and has an interesting premise, so here's hoping! 

A Couple Little Extras...


A couple Christmas presents for friends. I'm not done my shopping yet, but it's nice to be started.


And here is my new bookmark. :) I'm getting kind of addicted to collecting these. I couldn't say no to this one that had my first initial and a butterfly. Too cute. 

And then we went to WalMart for lunch, and... 


Oh, look! Another previous Waiting on Wednesday selection. :) I found The Future of Us for 30% off and even though I had just went crazy at Chapters I couldn't say no. It was just too good a deal. I'm sure I'll be getting to this one soon. 


Dearly Departed was my Book of the Month selection last month. It was also my first review that I posted over at Bookurious. And it's a book that I really, really loved. (Oh, and it was also one I was approved for via NetGalley.) I had to get a finished copy. The cover is gorgeous and I want to let other people, like my mom and aunt, read it. 


Well, that was my week. How was yours? I'd love to know, so feel free to leave a comment! 

21 comments:

  1. Oh!!!! Kathy!!!! I can't can't wait for you to read Tiger's Curse!!! Waaah!

    Let me know what you think of Ren. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got all my favorite books. I really hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some really interesting reads. Some of them I've never heard of. Always like seeing what people got and discovering new books.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing books this week:) Replication sounds intriguing...definitely checking this one out! I'm starting Dearly Departed soon!! It' sounds,Ike an awesome read :)
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you got some really good ones! Happy reading, and here's mine:

    http://jaimeliredeslivres.blogspot.com/2011/12/in-my-mailbox-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lots of books. The Key looks great! I loved Uneartly, I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoh Kathy!! Major awesome fest here! Ok Forest of Hands and Teeth - LOVED! (Book3 was my fav.) Unearthly - ADORED!!! And I still have to pick up Across the Universe too soon!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Dearly Departed cover. No image online does it justice on how pretty it is. Also, I love that bookmark. I'd get one like that, but knowing me I'd lose it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read The Mephestio Covenant as well ! It's awesome that you have the bookmark and the matching book !

    So many great pics and bookish items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TONS! so much fun! :) enjoy them!

    Stop by my IMM post?! I got some 2012 ARCs that you should add to your TBR list! :)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/in-my-mailbox-5-dark-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This was a productive week :-) And again my list of to be read will have to grow (I can see my husband frowning already lol)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an awesome IMM! Nightshade, Dearly Departed, Across the Universe, Future of Us... You'll have some great reading ahead of you. ;) Enjoy!

    Thanks for stopping by Kindle Fever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice haul this week!!! :) I loved Across the Universe, it was AwESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Across the Universe was great, and I can't wait for A Thousand Suns!:) I might also be the only one who completely hated Forest of Hands and Teeth, everyone else seems to love it:) Awesome collection though, you definitely have some good reads ahead of you:)

    Nina @ Lost in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you had a good book week!

    I read The Mephisto Covenant this summer and really enjoyed it! It hooked me in right away, and can't wait for the next one!

    I'm happy to keep hearing great things about Dearly Departed! I got an ARC from NetGalley, but keep pushing it aside to read something else. I'll have to get to it one day soon!

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a crazy amount of books in one week! Probably out of all the books you got, The Future of Us is the one that I want most. :D

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one heck of an IMM! Amy & roger's epic detour was good<3 (who doesn't love a road trip books?) Nightshade was also very interesting and I really want to get my hands on The future of us & Unearthly, people love them. I hope you enjoy all of these:D

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies
    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in love with Andrea Cremer's series. I hope you enjoy Nightshade. Great haul this week; I hope you enjoy your books! :)


    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay I'm so glad you got Amy & Roger's Epic Detour!!! I hope you love it as much as I did, and I can't wait to hear what you think. You have a really great haul this week! Love the bookmarks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great bunch of books you got this week! I still need to read unearthly but I've heard many good thigns about it! I LOVED Amy and Roger's Epic Detour!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a lot of fantastic books! Across the Universe is great. I've heard lots of good things about almost everything on your list, enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...