Monday, December 19, 2011

Top 10 Books I Want Santa To Bring


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


If I'm going to do this, I'm doing it "right" -- well, right according to the 9 year old that still occupies my imagination this time of year. My apologies if this is cheesy, but I cannot resist!

Dear Santa,

I've been very good this year. (Yeah, right!) How are you? I hope you've had a good year. How are Mrs. Claus, the elves and the reindeer? Did Rudolph like the carrots I left for him last year? Tell him there will be more, right beside the milk & cookies. Those will be in their usual spot on the dining room table.

Well, Santa. Check this out: I started a book blog. So guess what's at the top of my list this year. Yep, that's right. You're a genius. I want books. So here are my top ten choices. Tell the elves that if they have trouble finding them at Chapters to ask a clerk -- they're generally very friendly. 

Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare
Okay, Santa. I don't just want this book. I need it. Why? Because I have this teensy little problem with being an impulsive shopper and I picked up the second book, Clockwork Prince, for 30% off at Walmart. Yes. I know, Santa. I haven't finished the books by Cassandra Clare that I have. I'll get on that. Just bring me Clockwork Angel, okay? 

Legend
by Marie Lu
Okay, Santa, here's the deal. This book sounds extremely interesting and I'm dying to read it. On my last trip to Chapters I was there two days too early and couldn't buy it because it hadn't released yet. Yes, Santa, I know I'm obsessed with these kinds of books. No, Santa. Clarisse doesn't have to know -- I know she thinks these kinds of books are scary. And no, I'm not sure if there is an edition being released in Reindeer so Dasher can read it. I'll check.

Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi
Santa! When I went to Chapters specifically to buy this it was sold out! I hate that! So it's all up to you. I've heard such fabulous things about this book and I am dying to weigh in on the discussion. Care to help me out? Another one to have Clarisse avoid, although if you feel up to reading it to him, I'm pretty sure Comet would enjoy it from what I've heard. Seems to be a lot going on here.

The Dead-Tossed Waves
by Carrie Ryan
I just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth and really enjoyed it. So it makes total sense that I want to read The Dead-Tossed Waves (and The Dark and Hollow Places, but I'll let family get that.) What?! Don't go pulling at your beard like that, it might fall out. (Or off. Depends on if this is The Santa or a "mall" Santa... Nevermind.) At least I didn't ask you for Hushed by Kelly York -- I think Ms. Donner's fur would all fall off. Family can take care of that one too, I'm sure.

The Probability of Miracles
by Wendy Wunder
Finally, something you can relate to. What? Don't tell me you think it's normal for reindeer to fly. Anyway, back to the book. This sounds extremely interesting and I've been wanting to check it out for a while. I figure I'll need something contemporary to counter all of these crazy dystopian, postopocolyptic and paranormal books I want to get. This looks like it should be the ticket. 

Sweetly
by Jackson Pearce
Oh, look! A fairy tale retelling. I love those, don't you? C'mon, admit it. Every time one of these gets released you and Mrs. Claus have had it pre-ordered for the last six months. Who can blame you? Is there anything more popular as a fairy tale / legend / myth / whatever then Santa Claus? Now, don't go looking all bashful. You know it's the truth. Admit it! 

Destined
by Jessie Harrell
Fine. You don't want to be the hottest thing in town mythology wise? Lets give that to Destined, then. Yes, I'm sure you already know that it's about Eros and Psyche. What did Cupid say? No. I'm certain the character's name is Eros. Absolutely positive. You could always switch it for him, I guess? Anyway, back to the main point. I think I want this one for Kindle. So if the elves want to avoid hunting for some of these books a gift card will work. You're pulling your beard again...

The Vincent Boys
by Abbi Glines
This one sounds really cute and it's another that I think would be best picked up for Kindle. You *did* buy Mrs. Claus a Kindle, right? It's gotta be very boring waiting all night for you to get back, you know. Maybe you should grab this for her, too. It looks like something that could keep her busy while you're out doing the toy delivery thing. Just an idea. 

Touch
by Jus Accardo
Yes, Santa. I'm still here. The list is still going. You still awake? Good. Who doesn't love a story with an interesting and original idea. Touch looks like it has that going for it and more. (Another you might want to put on that Kindle I suggested for Mrs. Claus. Or perhaps she'd prefer a Nook?) Either way, I'm 98% positive that she likes things that are out of the ordinary and there's definitely some interesting stuff going on here. Worth a try. 

Eternal Starling
by Angela Corbett
Last one. I promise. No! Seriously. This really is the last one. Maybe ten books were a few too many? Anyway, I've wanted to get this one ever since I heard about it. I was going to get a physical copy but now I see that there is a version for Kindle and still no simple way to get the actual thing here in Canada. So yes, once again my Kindle needs some love. Oh, by the way, if you use my suggestion for Mrs. Claus I recommend getting the touch. The 5 way thing on my model might be hard for her to see. 

Anyway, Santa, I think that covers it. I don't expect to get every book on this list, but I think I've done a decent job of giving you a wide variety to choose from. If the whole thing makes your head ache, you can do the gift card thing instead. No, really. I won't be offended. Anyway, I'm sure you have lots of other letters to so I will end this one here.

Have a safe and happy flight!

Until next year,
Kathy

So, guys. Can you tell I had fun with that? Thanks so much for humoring me this week. Let me know what you're hoping for from the jolly old man in red. I'd certainly love to know.

Merry Christmas! 

23 comments:

  1. haha great list! I enjoyed that. I hope you get some of the books on your list! I can't wait to get my copy of shatter me in the mail. that reminds me... I need to check on that. I got clockwork prince! I can't wait to start that series.

    here is my list http://www.christiesbookreviews.com/2011/12/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great list! I love that you bought Clockwork Prince without reading Clockwork Angel. Don't worry, you will love them both! And I thought Dead-tossed Waves was even better than Forest of Hands and Teeth, which I loved. Enjoy.

    My Top Ten.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I love your letter to Santa!
    In fact, I loved it so much that I decided to help out the big guy and get started on your list for him ;)
    You should be getting two emails from Amazon soon!

    Merry Christmas and Ho Ho Ho
    :) Aeicha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I have read Destined and I truly love it with my heart. I really want to read the Infernal Devices series but want to read the Mortal Instruments first.

    Here's mine:
    http://thestoryseekers.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-tuesday-dear-santa-i-want-books.html

    Happy Holidays, Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lively blog design. I love it. I've seen a few wanting to read Shatter Me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Aeicha Thanks so much! :) When my family goes out on boxing day I'll have to take my Kindle with me. It'll be great to have something really good to read if I get tired at the mall or get left at Chapters too long. (There is only so much time I can carry tons of books around.)

    (For anyone curious I just received Destined and The Vincent Boys. If my Kindle had legs I think it would be dancing.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Santa,

    See, I know this blogger who could really use some books for Christmas. I realize that you're not one to aide in addictions, but at least this promotes reading and literacy... right? See, it's a GOOD thing.

    Anyway, any way that you can help a fellow blogger out? I bet you have Internet up at the North Pole now, so if there isn't enough sleigh room you can always order from The Book Depository or Amazon. They have free shipping too!

    Stay cool, Santa.

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kathy lol! You're very welcome! Hope you enjoy them. *joins Kindle in a happy dance* :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved the way you did this. :) I will have to say Legend is awesome. I loved it. Clockwork angel loved too. So far Shatter me is pretty much how everyone else has described it. Although I have maybe 50 more pages to go on it.

    I'm like you I'm an impulsive shopper also. I was that way before I got into blogging and if a book looked interesting I would usually get it even if I didn't know what it was about. Some of my favorite series are from doing that. You have some great books on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list ;) I hope you get them all :D Clockwork Angel is great, CP not so much (A) LEGEND is amazing. So is Shatter Me. <3 They are so worth reading :)
    Hope you have an awesome day; and an amazing Christmas :)
    Thank you for commenting on my top ten. <3
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that Santa brings you some of the books you asked for because your letter was wayy cute. nicely done top ten tuesday! :)

    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking a look at my top ten. I LOVED how you wrote your list. Totally cute and original!! You have a great day yourself and have a Merry Christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your list! :) Legend is fantastic! It's probably my favorite dystopian of the year. I got The Probability of Miracles last week as an early gift and I can't wait to read it! I hope Santa is good to you! Merry Christmas.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can win a couple of these if you enter my current giveaway... ;-) You really MUST read Clockwork Angel because CP is Cassie's best book yet! I'm halfway through and I have never been so conflicted over a love triangle! I hope Santa brings everything on your list! Merry Christmas!

    Karis's Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want all the books on your list as well. Hope Santa brings them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautifully made post you have! I'm interested about Sweetly as well. Here's hoping you'll get all the books from Santa this Christmas!

    Happy holidays!

    Nancy @ Simple Clockwork

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous list! I hope Santa is very good to you. We both need to get started on Clockwork Angel, though that was very wise of you to pick up Clockwork Prince now on sale.
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha I totally love your leter to Santa for Clockwork Angel!! You made me laugh a lot :D I hope he will bring it to you, because belive me Clockwork Prince is really really GOOD! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely forgot Shatter Me & Destined... Shame on me! :) The X-mas wishlist is way to short with just 10 entries ...

    Anne (from Living in a Fairy World)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your letter to Santa. It made me laugh. I've heard really good things about The Probability of Miracles. Hope Santa is good to you!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a very cute list and a clever way to make it! I want Shatter Me and Legend, too, although I didn't put Legend on my list. I need Clockwork Prince because I already have Clockwork Angel. If you haven't read it yet, it's really good!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for visiting my Top Ten. Great choices. I still need to read Sweetly but it looks really good. So do all the other books on your list. =]
    -Michael
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...