Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Goals for 2013!


And so another new year dawns upon us, packaged neatly into 52 weeks broken into 12 months. It's just waiting for us to step forward and claim every good thing we've ever wanted, so let's not disappoint it. Let the first decision we make in 2013 be this: no fear.

It is in that spirit of courage, of determination and of stepping forward that I present you with 10 things I want to do this year. I'd love to know what your hopes are, so feel free to comment!

1. Read More. 

2012 was nuts. This year, no matter what insanity gets sling at me, I want to remember that I can always turn to a book. Books are magic. Books are power. Books are doors. They can be a source of strength, power, healing, joy or hope... All we have to do is be willing to turn to the first page and read.

2. Blog More. 

I had a few periods in 2012 where I was really absent, and even if I'm going through a reading slump, that shouldn't be happening. I love this community and I've made a ton of friends in the past year and a half. While posting reviews is important, it's not the key to those friendships and should not be allowed to be something that can make me feel guilty or frustrated. If I'm not reading for joy, I'm not doing what I set out to do here and I need to reset my course.

3. Tweet, Tweet! 

A lot of the best things that have happened to me as a blogger have somehow involved Twitter. Why the heck don't I use it more? It's fun, social and lets me see what's going on with the rest of the (blogging) world.

4. Write On! 

Sealer's Promise needs another re-write and it's time I buckled down and got that done. I'm finally "hearing" the characters again, so I know they're ready for round three. It's scary to be doing this again, but I do believe it will be worth it and that this will be my (and my characters') year. Go!

5. Improve My Organizational Skills

I tend to blog by the seat of my pants and that's not necessarily the best way to do it. I have big plans for 2013, but if I want to make them happen, I'm going to have to plan them out and give them enough time. I'm very prone to having a "Eurika!" moment three weeks before I want to do something, and that does not work.

6. Plan What I'm Going To Buy

I'm a horrible impulse book buyer! I probably bought 300 books in 2012 and I think I read about 30? And the more I get the more I panic about what I should read and about what I haven't read. This year I'm going to try using some challenges to help me focus my reading. I've got some pretty great lists of books I want and books I own and it's looking a bit more manageable.

7. Rock That Kindle! 

In addition to the above, I should really try to take advantage of my kindle more then I do. I love physical books, but my room is tiny and I don't have a lot of space. Right now this place looks like a paper jungle and it's really NOT as cool as it sounds. Plus, the kindle is lighter / better for my wrists, can have its font size altered and fits in my purse.

8. Find A Blog Design I Love

I'm just never satisfied with the way this place looks. The stuff Renee made looks nice, but I've come to realize that it looks like Sarena is running the blog rather then me. Uh, no. She's so not a reader. (Now if this was a fashion blog we'd be in business...)

9. Attend More Real Life Events

This year I got to go to the Ontario Blog Squad Meet Up 2012 and to Apocalypse Tour at Chapters in Belleville. I want to do more stuff like that. It was really fun!

10. Share The (Book) Love

Because that is why I blog: To find awesome new authors to read and to talk about the books of authors whose stories I already enjoy. If I'm not enjoying a book, I shouldn't be reading it. Because odds are high I won't be talking about it--that's just not my style.


Well, there you have it: some goals for 2013. Can I do it? I'll tell you in 365 days. Can I try? Absolutely!

1 comment:

  1. I always take a peek at the books you're reading to find new ones that might interest me. (Even though I probably shouldn't since my TBR pile is high enough as-is.)

    Good luck on your goals. =) I've been trying to do better at organizing my plans too. I know I'll get thrown off track sometimes, but it's how quickly you bounce back that matters. ;)

    All the best for this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...