Monday, April 1, 2013

Review: On Every Street by Karina Halle

Three things convinced me to read On Every Street:

1. The review Giselle posted over at Xpresso Reads.

2. The term "long con". I realize Ellie is a woman, but it put me in mind of Sawyer, who was my favorite character from Lost. Besides, how often do we get a female character who isn't on the right side of the tracks and playing it safe?

3. The fact that I knew from word go that Javier was going to be a total badass. Would he win me over? I had to find out.

So I grabbed this for $1 off Amazon and got started. I can tell you right now, On Every Street was far more satisfying then a cup of Tim Hortons Coffee--and cheaper.

(Summary from GoodReads) 
When young con artist Ellie Watt decides to call herself Eden White and go after the drug lord who ruined her as a child, she never expects to fall for one of his henchmen. But Javier Bernal is no ordinary man. Subtly dangerous and overwhelmingly seductive, Eden finds herself passionately in love with Javier, the very person she's set-up to betray. With her body and heart in a heated battle against her deep need for revenge, no one will walk away from this con a winner.

This 50K word (100+ pages) novella takes place six years before Sins & Needles. It can be read before or after Sins & Needles and may also be read as a standalone.


Okay, some quick thoughts about On Every Street.

1. Chillingly dark, incredibly romantic and utterly captivating. The characterization, descriptions and voice of this story sucked me in like quicksand.

2. Ellie and Javier convincingly show how even two extremely screwed up individuals, with very questionable morals and motives, can find and need love.

3. Javier, how I love you. Javier, how I hate you. Yet WHY do I hate you more for what you do at the end of the book then for what you do throughout it? *headdesk!*

4. A @&%& and his car are soon parted. 'Nuff said. Though I'd wager that'll bit Ellie on the ass later.

5. I don't know if I'm that big a fan of the ending. The plot shifted gears half way through and it gave the book a slightly disjointed feeling, despite how fab everything else was. Likely because this is a prequel and it had to connect.

In short: Really glad I read this first. I'm incredibly invested in what happens to Ellie and I jumped right on to Sins & Needles, something that is rare for me. This series is totally worth checking out!


1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...