Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (April 4th)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selections are:

Taste
by Kate Evangelista
At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans.

When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn’t realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.

So, what's put this on my radar? Well, for starts the premise is intriguing. I wonder what exactly we are dealing with here: zombies, vampires, something slightly fresh and different? I love the names: Phoenix, Demitri, Luka? Nice work. Names are one of those things that can sway the odds in a book's favor and that's definitely going on here. And I wonder just what this feud could be about, and what role these characters will have in it? Are Demitri and Luka on different sides? Will Phoenix have to make some drastic decision? 

So many questions, so little time. I am anxious to have this book in my hands.

Even Villains Fall In Love
by Lianna Brooks
A super villain at the top of his game must choose between the world he wants and the woman he loves.

If you believe the rumors you know that Doctor Charm, the wickedly sexy super villain, retired in shame seven years ago after his last fight with the super hero Zephyr Girl. The fact that the charming Evan Smith—father of four and husband of the too-beautiful-to-be-real Tabitha—bears a resemblance to the defeated Doctor is pure coincidence. And, please, ignore the minions.

Everything is perfect in the Smith household, until Tabitha announces her return to work as a super hero. Evan was hoping to keep her distracted until after he rigged the 2012 presidential election, but—genius that he is—Evan has a backup plan. In his basement lab, Evan has a machine whose sole purpose is keeping Tabitha hungry for him.

But children and labs don’t mix. The machine is broken, and Tabitha storms out, claiming she no longer knows him. World domination takes a back seat to meeting his daughters’ demands to get Mommy back right now. This time his genius isn’t going to be enough—he’s going to need both his evil alter-ego, and the blooming super abilities of his children to save his wife. But even his most charming self might not be enough to save their marriage.

Being me, how could I *not* want to read this? I am so glad that I saw a post about it over at A Three Way Tie because I might have totally missed out otherwise, and that would have been a shame. This book is taking on a topic that I have wanted to write about for years and simply haven't had the story line up for yet. At the same time, I don't think I've ever really seen someone totally take this on. Can it be done? Will Evan get Tabitha back or will she end up leaving him? Will his daughters find out who he really is?

And, on the same token, who is he *really*? Husband, father super-villain... Yeah, that's gotta be a lot to keep up. I really can't wait to check this one out. 

How about you? What book has you counting down the days this week? I'd love to know, so feel free to link your post in the comments? 

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I've never heard of either book but they both sound seriously great! I just commented somewhere else that I was bummed there weren't enough superhero books and here you go. These are both going on my wishlist - excellent picks!

    My WoW this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, definitely intrigued by the sound of Taste! The night student bit caught my attention. Like you, I'm wondering what's going on with them/what they are. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great WoW picks! I am eager to read Taste.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-4th-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I SO want Even Villains fall in love. Will add it to my shelves right away! :)

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both these books sound amazing, but I'm especially drawn to Taste!

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taste sounds really interesting it reminds me of Dead Beautiful a little, thanks for stopping by my blog! :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog- it is so neat and pretty! Niiice!

    Good choices too- look like books that would be hard to put down!

    New follower :-)

    My WOW: http://pocketfulofbooksblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taste is one I will definitely be adding to my TBR pile. It sounds soo good.

    My WoW@Blood,Sweatandbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why, but I love the names in this one!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of these before but they look amazing and I love the title for the 2nd "Even villains fall in love" -> awesome, haha.

    Thanks so much for sharing and stopping by my WoW :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting books. They both sound pretty great. Especially Taste.

    Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and for stopping by,

    Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm super excited for these too. great picks :)

    my WoW pick.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taste looks interesting, I just added it to my books on GoodReads. Great WoW!

    -Charlotte
    my WoW (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of either picks before, but Taste sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. The synopsis was great - just enough detail to give us a "taste" (haha, did I just make a pun? :P) and keep us wanting for more. Thanks for sharing!

    My WoW @ YA Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taste sounds awesome! I'm also wondering zombies, vampires, some new mixture? Adding it! Even Villains Fall In Love sounds funny too! I'll add that as well lol Thanks for visiting My WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...