Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (April 18th)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication can't-wait-to-read selections are:

Love Sucks
by Sage Collins
Mailee Jones is about to answer the age old question: "How much love would a love sucker suck if a love sucker fell in love?"

Mailee is a Haustrix, an otherwise normal girl with a demon gene that causes her to consume love from any human she touches. Afraid of draining anyone completely, she's been leading an isolated life, relying on Eric, a hunky lust-draining Haustor and the only person she can safely touch. She's content to avoid humans for all but the quickest possible hand-brushes with the dreaded cheerleaders to keep from starving.

Until she meets Logan, a diabetic who is the first human to understand Mailee's anguish over her diet. But growing close to him means risking his love for her. Mailee's convinced it's time to do something--anything--to become human. But the only antidote requires her to release and be systematically infected by demons representing each of the Seven Deadly Sins. Sloth and Pride? Okay, fine, but sins like Wrath and Envy aren't so easy, as proven when possessed-Mailee punches the cheerleader who's making eyes at Eric. Can she honestly get through all the sins?

Not to mention this new issue--is she interested in Eric instead? Because if she turns human, she'll lose him. Forever.

Premise. I talk about that word a lot here at I Write, I Read, I Review. I talk about that word, because it's important. It's like the worm on the hook that catches a fish, it's what makes the deal so that when I read something I will either feel I got what I came for, or I will think the author "broke" it. The other half of the whole premise discussion is obviously execution. But here's the thing: if the premise of a book does not grab me, I'm probably not going to be taking to you about the book in question. Premise is to enticing me to read a book what customers should be to those who are working at providing a product or service: King.

Now that I've said that, I will say this: Oh. My. God. This book sounds totally, epicly, knots in the pit of my stomach and hairs standing up on the back of my neck amazing. Y'know that feeling I talked about when I reviewed Wicked As They Come? Yeah, this is like that. The "I must read this NOW." feeling. The feeling where something about a book gets under the skin like the itch of a bug bite and you can't stop scratching.

Lets see... Girl with a demon gene who has good reasons not to fall in love? Boy who makes her want to be able to do that so she is actually willing to sacrifice the demon aspect of herself? (As opposed to a fantasy or paranormal creature wanting to change someone -- I like that but it's far more common.) And needing to deal with being infected with the seven deadly sins? (Yikes and wow.)

This book definitely has my attention and I will be counting down the days until I can read it.

The Selection
by Kiera Cass
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I've been excited about The Selection for ages and it has gotten a lot of attention from what I've seen. I know I've visited a lot of blogs talking about the book / reviewing it, and I've heard a wide variety of opinions, which makes me all the more eager to read it. If people are seeing it in various ways it means there is something there that is drawing them in or driving them away, and that's far better then blending into the woodwork if you ask me. 

I never got into The Bachelor, but I did audition for Canadian Idol and I can tell you that trying to get involved with reality TV of any sort is grueling, exhausting work. Tying this together with the fact that America already loves someone, a Caste system, a prince who gets to choose between 35 girls to be his (how is Kiera not going to make this guy an asshat, I am eager to see. Seems like it'll be a challenge in my opinion... ;) ) ... These things all combine to create something that I know I need to weigh in on.

Plus, isn't that cover totally gorgeous? That's never a serious consideration about whether I'll read a book or not -- it moreso decides if I a want hard or eBok copy -- but I'd have to be blind to stay mum about it. 


So, what has you totally excited this week? Are you looking forward to Love Sucks or The Selection? Feel free to link me to your post and I'll do my best to drop by and say hi! 

P.S. Sorry I've been a bit off the last few days, guys. My grandma was rushed to the hospital via ambulance on the 8th, she's still there now and life is a little hectic. She's doing *far* better then she was when she got there, but they still aren't sure what *exactly* is the matter and they are doing a lot of testing. Prayers and well wishes for Kathleen "Kaye" Perry are both deeply appreciated. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. *gets starry-eyed* I LOVE the cover for 'Love Sucks.' That is beautiful. <3 And 'The Selection' has been on my radar for a while. On a slightly different note, I was actually going to tell you because I saw your recommendation for 'Wicked As They Come' on Goodreads, I went out and bought it. =P The print in the paperback was tiny, though, so I ended up downloading the Kindle version too.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I already said a little prayer, but I will say more. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the cover for Love Sucks is really pretty. And what a shame that the print for Wicked As They Come is tiny. Might need to teach Mom to use my Kindle after all.

    And thanks so much, with regard to grandma. If all goes well she is suppose to be getting out of the hospital Friday, so here is hoping. (They have confirmed she does need chemo, but she seems to be handling it well. All the rest of us here can do is stay positive and take things one day at a time.

    And argh!! I fell asleep and didn't get this listed right away, which is a shame. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Selection look SO freaking good!!!! Love Sucks sounds cute! Great picks :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Selection was lovely and Love Sucks sounds cute!!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want Love Sucks NOW! :D

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks Kathy! I like the sounds of Love Sucks it's the first I hear of it. The Selection I've been seeing very mixed opinions so I'm a but wary on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...