Sunday, April 1, 2012

In My Mailbox (Apr. 1st)


In My Mailbox is a weekly feature created by Kristi at The Story Siren where bloggers get together to share the lovely books we received, bought or borrowed. Curious what I've been up to? Scroll down for a peek at some of the lovely things I've had arrive.

So, how's everyone been? Yes, if you hadn't noticed the increased activity in the past week, you can take this as confirmation that I am still here, and I Write, I Read, I Review does still exist. I've been many things: sick, busy, half insane from editing, and very fortunate to have both received and purchased some very awesome books. For the most part, let's stick to the last one. :)

First off, what do you think of the new IMM banner? I'm not a genius with art programs, but I've noticed a lot of people have their own unique ones, so I finally sat down and gave that a shot. I think its cute and suits the (increasingly nice) spring weather. Next job: finding a background that I like as much as my winter one. That'll be tough.

But enough about me or the actual blog. Let's get to the books...

For Review:

Entangled
by Nikki Jefford
Twin witches Graylee and Charlene Perez agree on one rule: No dating warlocks.

Not so easy when a certain rogue warlock is convinced he and Graylee belong together and will use anything, including magic, to try and impress Gray. When Charlene’s boyfriend dumps her, she threatens to kill either herself or the girl who stole Blake. Somehow, Gray ends up dead.

A Resurrection Spell Gone Wrong:

Two months after dying, Gray wakes up in Charlene’s body. As a witch, can anyone blame her mother for attempting to bring her daughter back to life? Only now Gray’s stuck sharing her sister’s body 50/50 in twenty-four hour shifts.

The race is on for Gray to find a way back inside her own body before Charlene purges her from existence. Raj McKenna is rumored to meddle in the black arts, not to mention he’s after Gray’s invisibility spell and worse – her heart. But Raj might be the only one powerful enough to save Gray from fading away forever.

I got this request about a week ago and I just knew I had to read it. I haven't read anything that went quite like this before, but I know I like stories involving magic and love so hopefully it will be right up my alley. If all goes well, I should get to it and have a review out soon. 

BZRK
by Michael Grant
Time is running out for the good guys. But what happens when you don’t know who the good guys really are?

Noah and Sadie: newly initiated into an underground cell so covert they don’t even know each other’s real names. Trained for combat on the nano level, they are thrust into a war they can barely grasp.

Vincent: feels nothing and cares for no one. Fighting a personal battle with Bug Man, the greatest nano warrior alive.

The Armstrong Twins: wealthy, privileged, fanatical. Are they the saviors of humanity or authors of the darkest conspiracy in history?

On one side: Charles and Benjamin Armstrong’s Nexus Humanus. On the other: a group of teen hackers who call themselves BZRK.

Twenty-first-century warfare that takes place on the macro and nano level for the highest stakes: humanity’s free will.

It’s time to choose sides.

I reviewed this a couple weeks ago. It was the one book I zipped through for the majority of March, between being sick, editing my manuscript, being in the singing contest and probably just needing a bit of a breather. What I can tell you about BZRK is that it is totally awesome, it hooked me from start to finish, and I loved it. Once again, many thanks to the lovely people at Random House. I love being a part of Blog It Forward and this book is just another of the many reasons why. 

I Won:




I was both shocked and amazed a few weeks ago when I discovered that I had won these books from June at Writing Is A Blessing. Once again, thanks so much! :) I have wanted to read this series for ages and to have won all three books totally made my night. Even better? They are signed. :) Here's the message in the third one (the first two have signatures) :


I Bought: (Physical)

Fever
by Lauren DeStefano
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

I really enjoyed Wither, even though I initially purchased it because the premise rubbed me the wrong way. I think Lauren has totally beautiful writing and I found the story she chose to tell extremely compelling. (Also, I am quite fond of Linden, a fact that actually made me have to re-evaluate my review because I was so impressed with the fact that I grew so strongly attached to a character I had been convinced I would despise. That's. Not. Easy.) So, am I totally dying to read Fever? Absolutely. Do I hope we get to see something compelling about Gabriel? Sure. And am I just plain curious to find out what happens next, no matter what? You bet. When I saw this, I just had to grab it.

The Way We Fall
by Megan Crewe
It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you’re dead.

When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.

Because how will she go on if there isn’t?


I remember having this as a Waiting on Wednesday post a while being and being really fanatically hyped about the premise, so when I saw it sitting next to Fever at Shoppers Drugmart, I just couldn't resist grabbing it, too. I don't tend to put something up as a Waiting on Wednesday selection unless it really does make my hair stand on end with that strong gut feeling that means, "I must read this NOW!" So I would wager I will be reading this soon. I know, I've said that a lot tonight, but I've ended up with some totally amazing books so I guess it cannot be helped.

I Bought: (for my Kindle)

Wicked As They Come
by Delilah S. Dawson
Have you ever heard of a Bludman? They’re rather like you and me—only more fabulous, immortal, and mostly indestructible. (They’re also very good kissers.)

Delilah S. Dawson’s darkly tempting debut drops her unsuspecting heroine into a strange faraway land for a romantic adventure that’s part paranormal, part steampunk . . . and completely irresistible.

When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she has no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman has cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life, or will she take a chance on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?

From the moment I first saw the description, I knew I had to read this. I can tell you right now: it did not disappoint. I totally devoured this book, and I also gave it the Kat's Meow Award, which is the highest honor my blog has. If you're anxious to hear my thoughts, my review is already up on GoodReads. If you're patient, it will be over here on Thursday if you'd like to share your thoughts. If you love paranormal, fantasy, steampunk or romance you need to run to your nearest bookstore and grab Wicked As They Come *now* because it's out of this world! (To the point that I want a physical copy even though I have a Kindle one.) 

Under the Never Sky
by Veronica Rossi
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

I've wanted to read this book for ages. I was holding out to buy a physical copy the next time I went to Chapters, but after seeing the trailer (which I thought was great) I broke down last night and grabbed it for Kindle instead. I am over halfway through and I am having a great time. My review for this should be up in the near future. Current thoughts? I love the dynamic between Aria and Perry, but the world building could have been a bit richer. Overall, I'm having a good time with it.


I feel very fortunate right now. I have received (one way or another) some extremely awesome books that I am very anxious to read. Anything here catch your eye? Feel free to share your thoughts. :)

So, what did you get this week? Feel free to link your post and I'll drop by and have a look. (I'm stuck on a scene in Moon Dance right now. Can you tell? :p )

Have a great week, guys!

17 comments:

  1. I really want to read BZRK. So jealous! And I love that cover for Under the Never Sky. Great haul this week :)

    My IMM + Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yesss BZRK was such a fast read..It still creeped me out though. Bots and all inside you..!

    I'm only reading my own copy of The Way We Fall..and it's making me feel weird. Thanks for sharing your haul!

    ------
    Giselle from booknerd.ca
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really curious curious about BZRK. (What's up with the spelling?) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought a kindle copy of Under the Never Sky too this week - I was going for a physical, but I'm away at the moment, so a Kindle version's easier.

    I'm also really curious about The Way We Fall - might have to get that one!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool signed books. Under the Never Sky is amazing. I hope that you enjoy your new books!

    Kristina
    Ladybug Storytime

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Wicked As They Come on a WoW post last week. The cover is awesome and you've made me want to read it more than ever. I've heard so much about Under the Never Sky. I know I'll be adding it to my shelf.

    Glad the "Summer" books reached you! I was just thinking of that the other day, so your update was perfect. Enjoy them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome haul this week... congrats on the Jenny Han win!! SCORE! I have Entangled on my shelf as well (talk about a gorgeous cover) and can't wait to add The Way We Fall! Enjoy

    Here is my IMM

    Happy Reading!
    Lindsay @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  8. UtNS is like... my favorite book this year :) IT IS SO GOOD!!! I swear, if you don't love it I will CRY! :) Anyways, enjoy all your books :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh,I like that cover of Under The Never Sky. That book never peaked my interest, but Rossi is coming to a town near me so I ordered it yesterday.

    I am so jealous of your Fever. I'm reading Wither right now, it is so very different.

    Also, yay ! Isn't it fun when you win a contest ?

    Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by Books and Sensibility !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by! Great mailbox! I really can not wait to read my own copy of Fever. I absolutely loved Under the Never Sky and am incredibly envious of your copy of The Way We Fall. I hope you enjoy all that your mailbox has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice haul! I may have to add some of these to my TBR pile.

    Thanks for sharing your goodies!
    Dani C
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading 'Fever' right now, and I LOVE it. Totally know what you mean by Linden. I found myself kind of rooting for him by the end of 'Wither'!

    'Wicked As They Come' sounds delicious (so is the cover ;) Will have to check that out.

    I've seen 'Under the Never Sky' but haven't read it yet. *sigh* So many good books, not nearly enough reading time. D:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh The Way We Fall! I still have to get that one! And I liked Fever a lot better than the first. Great haul!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am reading BZRK now and OMG!! My first Michael Grant read...holy moly batman....!! Well you know , don't you:D

    Wicked as they Come.....ooo intriguing!!!! Love the cover.

    enjoy!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww your IMM banner is too cute! :D Loved BZRK... so totally CRAZY and wow and kinda creepy... *frantically feels around eye*

    Huge congrats on your win! I have GOT to read the Summer series already, I hear they're so good! I also really want to get Fever, because I loved Wither aswell. Lauren's writing is so breathtaking.

    And AHH I LOVE Under the Never Sky! Aria! Perry! ROOOOOAAAAAARRRRR! I like roaring Roar's name hehe :D Glad you're enjoying it!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your mailbox kitty is so cute!! Love it!!

    You have an awesome mailbox! I didn't love Fever as much as I loved Wither, but it was still very good. I remember that you mentioned that you liked Linden. For me, I think my favourite character is Vaughn! He is so evil!

    I was RAK'd with Under the Never Sky, and I just won The Way We Fall. I think they both sound awesome!

    I hope you enjoy all your new books, and thanks for stopping by my mailbox:

    http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/2012/04/in-my-mailbox-april-1-2012.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...