Monday, June 11, 2012

You Are What You Eat *or* You Write What You Read...



So, I've been kind of MIA the last couple weeks. I think I mentioned this the last time I posted, but the reason for this is that I have been editing and outlining. I am a strange person. I am not good at reading and writing at the same time. Especially not when I am trying to get my ideas down at the beginning of a project. And no reading makes it very hard to write stuff here at I Write, I Read, I Review. If you're going to blog about books, you really do need to be reading them.

Well, now that I have started to get the ideas down for my new project (the overall thing being called Tales of Ellithica) it's time to start reading books in related genres so I can get a feel for what is out there. Because I definitely don't want to be repeating anyone. So, what are there in a nutshell?

Fantasy based fairy tale retellings.

So, that means there are three types of books that could be of use to me. (1) Fantasy novels. (traditional, not urban)... Which is why I have Graceling up there. (2) Fairy Tale Retellings. Regardless of their genre connection, reading these is really important because I don't want to rehash what's out there. (3) Historical novels. I don't read a lot of history related stuff, but paying attention to that will be important here because I already know the world I am working on for my series is not modern. One thing I do have here that I can check out a.s.a.p. is Grave Mercy.

These books will make a decent starting point, but I got some money to go shopping on Amazon and I figure it should go toward getting stuff related to what I'm doing, since that should mean I'll read it. I am looking for suggestions of what might be a good choice. I have reviewed a couple fairy tale retellings (Beastly and Sisters Red) but I don't really think I have read and reviewed any historical stuff, fantasy or otherwise.

Here are a few books that have my attention: (Click the GoodReads links for full details)

GoodReads
GoodReads
GoodReads

Do you have any suggestions I have missed? I'd love to know, so feel free to share. :) 

8 comments:

  1. Fairy tale retellings:

    Francesca Lia Block's "The Rose and the Beast" (LOVE this one).
    Emma Donoghue's "Kissing the Witch"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And...

      Angela Carter's "The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories"

      Delete
  2. I'm not big on fantasy or retellings myself but Shadow and Bone and Smoke and Bone (haha) are 2 of my favs fantasy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...