Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dusty Reads (1)


Dusty reads is a weekly post created by Giselle at Xpresso Reads where we get to share a book that has been on our shelves for a while, but which we have not read yet. As someone who buys more books then I could ever conceivably keep up with, this is a great opportunity for me to showcase books that grab my attention and find out from you guys if I should open them up and find out what's actually inside. ;)

This week's pick is: 

Keturah and Lord Death
by Martine Leavitt
I will tell you a story of magic and love, of daring and death, and one to comfort your heart. It will be the truest story I have ever told. Now listen, and tell me if it is not so.

Keturah follows a legendary hart deep into the forest, where she becomes hopelessly lost. Her strength diminishes until, finally, she realizes that death is near--and learns then that death is a young lord, melancholy and stern. Renowned for her storytelling, Keturah is able to charm Lord Death with a story and gain a reprieve--but he grants her only a day, and within that day she must find true love. Martine Leavitt offers a spellbinding story, interweaving elements of classic fantasy and romance.

When I Bought It: August of 2011

Why I Bought It: I found a neat least of obsure YA releases that deserved more appreciation one afternoon when I was bored. As I scrolled through it, the title for this book jumped out at me. I was curious so I decided to look it up on Amazon and GoodReads to see what it was about. The description made me even more excited. "This definitely sounds like my kind of book." And wouldn't you know, by some miracle even though Amazon.com was "Temporarily out of stock", Amazon.ca had Just One Copy left in paperback. The rest, as they say, is history.

Why I Haven't Read It Yet: Have you ever rushed to purchase something, been totally super excited to sit down with it and check it out, had it come to the front door and then been stuck dumb by terror at the realization that if you open it and start reading there is a chance it may not be as epic as you've build yourself up to imagine? I read a sample of this on Amazon before I purchased it. I know I like the author's writing style. I know I am interested in the story. So, either it's what I've written above, or (and this is kind of silly!) it's that once I've read it the story is over.

I've always had a fascination with stories about love, death, the underworld, etc. But it's one of my "touchy" subjects. Its something that either works for me and I'll sing the book's praises for a thousand miles, or it doesn't and I am devastated. It's also an idea set / theme that I am exploring in my own work, so I am constantly torn between reading others stuff so that I don't copy what's already out there, and wanting to avoid reading it for fear that I will or do. Logically, that fear is silly. Far better to go, "Wait a minute. Didn't that happen in book X?" then, "I didn't know!". (Because we all know "I didn't know" isn't actually an excuse...)

If this book could talk right now, I think it would be comparing itself to someone who's butt's getting sore from sitting at karaoke all night without the host calling them up to sing. "Dude, did you forget my slip? Hello? Over here? Before I've drank six beers, please?" Yeah, that kinda night.

So, now it's time for you guys to weigh in. Should I start reading Keturah and Lord Death? Or should I look into finding it a new home? When it comes to books I subscribe to The Moon King's philosophy about toys, from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: "A [book] is never truly happy until it is loved by a [reader]." Talk to me, guys! What should I do with Keturah and Lord Death

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, been there, done that ;) That's why my copies of both Zafon's Shadow of the Wind & The Angel's Game sit unread & dusty ;) The same goes for Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I know they should be epic, but I am a little afraid to read them ;)

    But, this sounds interesting & I hope will be good when you decide to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...