Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's Next? (2)


What's Next? is a weekly event hosted by Icey Books where you guys get to suggest what book I should read next from a list that I provide.

Am I the only one who gets a case of the winter blah's the moment I have to push back the clock? Doubtful. The time shift and shortening days can do a real number on me, and I know the last few weeks my brain has been about as attentive as a piece of ground up hamburger. Everything has screeched to a halt--writing, editing, reading, blogging. Everything. And I'm tired of it. 

So this week, my picks for What's Next are a bunch of books I'm dying to read, because I know I really need a pick-me-up. Wanna help me choose? 

Finding It  (Losing It #3)
by Cora Carmack
Sometimes you have to lose yourself to find where you truly belong...

Most girls would kill to spend months traveling around Europe after college graduation with no responsibility, no parents, and no-limit credit cards. Kelsey Summers is no exception. She's having the time of her life . . . or that's what she keeps telling herself.

It's a lonely business trying to find out who you are, especially when you're afraid you won't like what you discover. No amount of drinking or dancing can chase away Kelsey's loneliness, but maybe Jackson Hunt can. After a few chance meetings, he convinces her to take a journey of adventure instead of alcohol. With each new city and experience, Kelsey's mind becomes a little clearer and her heart a little less hers. Jackson helps her unravel her own dreams and desires. But the more she learns about herself, the more Kelsey realizes how little she knows about Jackson.
I've read and loved Cora Carmack's first two books, Losing It and Faking It. So I've been looking forward to Finding It for a while. 

by Lindsay Ribar 
He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan for just about everything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Oliver is more than just a genie -- he's also a sophomore at Margo's high school, and he's on the run from a murderer. As he and Margo grow closer, she discovers that it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.
This was my #1 pick for most anticipated book by a debut author at the start of the year and I still haven't read it yet. I downloaded and loved the sample on my Kindle, so I really should fix that, right?

by Simone Elkeles
After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?
Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry trilogy is one of my favorite series ever and I've been waiting a very long time for her to release something new. I've very eager to check Wild Cards out. 

by Jennifer E. Smith
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?
This was another of my top picks for this year, and I was super fortunate to swap for a copy of it earlier this month at the Ontario Blogger Meetup in Toronto. 

by Rainbow Rowell
A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
This book looks like it will be super cute, and I can totally relate to feeling awkward while starting college (university) and dealing with professors who are authors who have certain ideas of their own. It was a while ago, but I've been there. 

So, now I leave this in your capable hands. Tell me, people ... What's Next? :D

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to say Fangirl, I really want to read that :) It sounds great, hope you enjoy your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding It. Love that author. I read The Art of Wishing and it was cute, but not what I thought it'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I think the cover isn't splendid (I judge by the cover!), I think the Art of Wishing has a very intriguing summary. I'd go for that.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I definitely want to read FANGIRL before the end of the year. I hear it's one of the best! And HAPPY is just sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...