Friday, July 5, 2013

Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

I still remember deciding to buy this book last fall. I remember, because I wanted to grab it, Easy by Tamara Webber, and Devoured by Emily Snow. I've now read two out of the three--not bad for me. (You all know I tend to buy more then I can read, right?)

I wanted this book because I totally loved the sample that I read. However, after I bought it I made the huge mistake of trying to read it at the hospital while my grandma was getting chemo. While it is on my Kindle, there are some things in this world which are just so hella-awkward that they should never be attempted again. Reading NA in front of grandma--especially with a premise like that found in Losing It--is one of them.

However, when I heard that Faking It had been released and liked the sound of the premise for that, I figured it was time to go back and complete Losing It. I had intended to read it kind of tongue in cheek--I even started reading it out loud to Jay. And you know what? That's how we finished it--together. (Yes. Jay actually sat through me reading the whole book aloud. It's a miracle I can still talk.)

So, what's my verdict on Losing It? Read on and find out!

(Summary from GoodReads)
Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.
For me, reading about a character this anxious to get rid of her virginity was, in essence, as odd-feeling as reading about a serial killer might be for others. Pressure to get rid of or keep my "V card" was never an issue from the outside, so the issue seemed almost comical to me as I started reading. 

And putting all else about this book aside for a minute, Losing It can be laugh out loud funny. (Especially when read aloud to Jay.) 

The premise was one of those where it both intrigued and repulsed me: I felt (and still feel, if I'm being honest) that a character who would allow others' expectations to dictate to her this much is weak. Pressure to give it up is no better then pressure to wear a chastity belt--it's still someone or something (society, friends, family, a guy / girl... I don't care *who*) trying to control another person's sexuality, and that is absolutely unacceptable. 

Fortunately, there was a lot more to Losing It then this and I did like the way that this aspect of the story was handled in the end. I feel that we got to see some legitimate growth with Bliss and I really enjoyed the shifting dynamics with her and her friends, Kelsey and Cade, as well as how her relationship progressed with Garrick. 

That relationship, which is teacher / student, is going to step on some toes. I know that for me, a situation like this can definitely be hit or miss. In this case I was okay with it, though. Why? (1) They didn't realize this was an issue when they met. (2) This is college, not high school. And these characters weren't decades apart where he could've been her dad. That helped it avoid the squick factor that would've made me DNF. (3) It was used well to fuel the conflict and develop the characters and wasn't just there as a shock factor. 

Oh! And while I'm talking about characters, relationships, etc. I must just do a quick shout out to Hamlet the cat. I loved her. (Yes. Her.) Wanna know how that happened? Well, you'll need to read Losing It, then. :D 

If you love NA, or have been considering giving NA a try, I'd say this is one of those "Run, don't walk" situations. Losing It was a totally fun read from start to finish and if you need any further proof of that I downloaded Faking It to my Kindle within five minutes of finishing it. Hilarious situations, spot on dialogue, an honest look at some awkward issues and a terrific ending make Losing It a story not to be missed. 



1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about picking up an NA book lately and this one has been on my radar. I was hesitant about it, because of the whole 'losing the virginity-pressure' stuff, but your review may have convinced me to try it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...