Friday, March 1, 2013

Feb. 2013 Reading Recap / March 2013 Reading List!

February Reading Recap:

I had quite an ambitious list for February, but between a visit from Jay, one book that put my whole reading mood into a major funk and the fact that I'm getting ready to work on Sealer's Promise revisions things did not turn out quite as hot as I would have liked. However, I did get a few books read so lets take a look at them.

4 / 5 hearts
3 / 5 hearts
5 / 5 hearts
5 / 5 hearts
2 / 5 hearrts

Short 'n Sweet Reviews:

The full reviews for these books are either up on my blog or scheduled for release. But if you want a quick glimpse of what I thought, you can take a look here.

The Vincent Brothers: Much better then The Vincent Boys. I figured I would like Sawyer more then Beau and I did. I also found Lana more relatable. Nearly gave this 5 hearts but it didn't *quite* reach that. Still highly recommended.

Rage: Another fantastic book in the Riders of the Apocalypse series. Rage is definitely my favorite, likely because I loved Missy as a character and because I loved the scenes with her and Death together. This is not an easy book to read, but I knew what I was getting into and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Loss: I couldn't wait to read this after finishing Rage, so I didn't. It was 'Good', but it was not what I have come to expect from a Riders of the Apocalypse novel. I get why--and talk about that in my review--but I feel it's a shame the core issue couldn't have been dealt with more directly.

My Soul To Take: My Book of the Month choice for March and by far (okay, Rage was pretty close but I featured Hunger a couple months ago, sooo...) my favorite February read. My only regret about this book is that I didn't read it sooner. If the rest of the series is this fabulous, I'm pretty confident I have a new addiction.

Meant To Be: This book totally broke my heart and it was for all the wrong reasons. My review will be up on Tuesday, and for anyone who read my Thinking On Thursday post yesterday, this is the book I was talking about. I thought I was going to fall madly in love with this book and that just did not happen.


March Reading List: 




1. Strength by Carrie Butler -- This is for a book tour and I need to get going on it. I've wanted to read it for ages but last month went from crazy busy to crazy moody to just plain crazy. But this is definitely priority #1 because my review goes up March 15th.

2. The Devil's Triangle by Toni De Palma -- Another book for a tour. I jumped at the chance to read this one because it reminded me of the movie Bedazzled, which I totally love. Really really need to remember to put my Kindle on the charger tonight (I keep forgetting...) because this one has a stop here on the blog on March 18th.

3. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead -- Remember how I mentioned that really moody reader thing? Well, I *know* I like Richelle Mead's writing so I'm going to wager that Bloodlines will be a safe bet as a book that I will enjoy. (I double checked and read a few pages--right now I don't totally trust anyone because I know how grumpy I am.) This looks like it should be great, though. :)




My Soul To Save by Rachel Vincent -- After how much I loved My Soul To Take I can't wait to read this one. I'm really glad that I found the Soul Screamers Read-A-Long and I'm having a lot of fun reading this series.

Pivot Point by Kasie West -- The premise for this sounds freaking awesome. I've been looking forward to this one for a while and I pretty much got it at launch. The only reasons I haven't devoured this yet are that I've been busy and moody. But I can't wait to start and it looks like it should be an interesting read.

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay -- The idea of Romeo and Juliet having a very different resolution to its ending, complete with an interesting sounding paranormal twist, has definitely perked my interest. It's true I'm probably *more* interested in seeing how this book will set up the sequel (Just how "bad" is Romeo? What does the paranormal element fully consist of and how will it carry through the books? Will I want Romeo to have a chance to be redeemed?) but Juliet Immortal doesn't look like it's going to be a slouch--I'm counting on this to be a good story in it's own right.


Bonus Round Books: 

These are my back ups incase I read everything on my list, or something on there just doesn't work for me.




The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead -- I am already over half done with Bloodlines from when I started this post, and I'm totally loving it. So if I have time, or the mood simply demands it, I may go ahead and read The Golden Lily since I have it sitting here, too.

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han -- I won the entire "summer" trilogy last year and I never actually got around to starting it. It's another thing I want to fix this year and since I've been suffering the late winter blahs a summery book like this might be a good fit. Also, I always try to have something contemporary among all the fantasy, paranormal and dystopian I read incase I start to feel like it's all blurring together.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand -- I've tried this one before, but I now know things that will make me able to keep going with it. I know that might sound kinda wimpy or pointless, but for me romance is about the how and why people fall in love--I prefer the who to be obvious, if I'm being totally honest. Anyway, I've got all three of these now and if the mood strikes I might be reading the first one.


A Big Heads Up:

I've taken a few months to get some space between myself and my novel, Sealer's Promise, but it's almost time for me to take all the notes I've compiled or been given by my betas / crit partners and try to write the third draft.

The book is getting a HUGE overhaul because of some of the feedhback and decisions that have been received or made so this is going to be a lot of work. Writing and Reading take a lot of time when I try to put them together, so the blog might not be quite as focused review wise as it has been the last couple months. I am going to strive to keep it more up to date and active then I did last year, but my book is my dream so it will be getting quite high priority once I've read and set up my reviews for the two tours I am on.

Part of the focus of the blog will likely shift to updating you all on my progress (and making myself accountable by doing so *laughs*). I'm both excited and nervous to start work on this, because I really am hoping I can juggle it and the blog and because I hope that this will be the "last" major revision. I must keep reminding myself, though, that I do believe that this last major round is in both the book and the series best interest.

I hope you'll all wish me luck! :)


My goal for March is to read at least six books and to provide at least one review a week (this may or may not count my tour stops, but those will obviously be happening.)

Anyway, time to go and finish Bloodlines and then get started on Strength.

What are YOU reading this month? I'd love to know! 

6 comments:

  1. I like the cover to your WIP, very pretty! Good luck with getting it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read your review of Meant to Be. I was sure I would LOVE it - the whole premise sounded exactly like the type of book I would love, plus it's set in London which is usually a big win for me. I had some issues with it, but still ended up enjoying it for the most part, so I'll be curious to see what your issues with it were.
    I've been meaning to email and ask how things with Sealer's Promise were going, so I'm glad you updated (since I'm behind in everything and obviously haven't had a chance to email *sigh*). I think it's great that you're not rushing it for the sake of finishing and that you realize there's work that needs to be done...a lot of indies just rush in because they're impatient to publish, but that doesn't do anyone any good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pivot Point was really good! I'll be starting Strength today so I hope we both really enjoy that one. Oh oh oh and the Unearthly series is one of my favorites. You have a great month ahead of you Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...