Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shopaholic Sunday (August 26th)


Shopaholic Sundays are my opportunity to share what I bought this week, what I'm thinking of buying soon and if I have anything interesting planned here at I Write, I Read, I Review. Curious what I've picked up or found waiting in my mailbox? Read on to find out.

Hey guys!

This month has been totally insane and I haven't had a lot of time for anything. (Especially reading, which makes it very hard to update a book blog.) But I always have time to shop, don't I? Well, here are a bunch of the things that I have picked up in the last few weeks. Hopefully I'll get the chance to really sit down with these soon. (Between grandma and Sealer's Promise stuff that's been hard)

I'm hoping I can get things here back to some semblance of normalcy once I have the book out with betas, but I don't want to make any promises. To those who have stuck with me despite all the craziness, thank you. 



Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's book Reviews where we get to share the fabulous things we bought borrowed or received. Curious what I got? (No video this week, guys. My parents have been on vacation and I've been spending 90% of my time at grandma's -- meaning my whole schedule is messed up.)

For Review:

Katya's World
by Jonathan L. Howard
The distant and unloved colony world of Russalka has no land, only the raging sea. No clear skies, only the endless storm clouds. Beneath the waves, the people live in pressurised environments and take what they need from the boundless ocean. It is a hard life, but it is theirs and they fought a war against Earth to protect it. But wars leave wounds that never quite heal, and secrets that never quite lie silent.
Katya Kuriakova doesn’t care much about ancient history like that, though. She is making her first submarine voyage as crew; the first nice, simple journey of what she expects to be a nice, simple career.
There is nothing nice and simple about the deep black waters of Russalka, however; soon she will encounter pirates and war criminals, see death and tragedy at first hand, and realise that her world’s future lies on the narrowest of knife edges. For in the crushing depths lies a sleeping monster, an abomination of unknown origin, and when it wakes, it will seek out and kill every single person on the planet.

Ever received something for review and went "Uh...what do you want me to do with this?". That's sort of how I feel here. While I am always grateful when publishers send me books, this one has me totally stumped. I opened and read a bit of it and it reminds me of the Science Fiction class I took back in university and I mean every ounce of weight those capital letters can carry. A very "don't call me sci-fi" kinda deal. That kind of Science Fiction tends to make me nervous. We shall see, though.

Shifted Perspective
by Margaret Bates
Caleb Byrne is a bright high school senior who has enough to deal with between college choices, taking care of his single dad, and dealing with both a headstrong girlfriend Joanna and an eccentric set of cousins in California. Mostly, he was managing to get by before the day he woke up a Cocker Spaniel. Even if it only happens monthly and is more embarrassing than painful, the so-called ability is something that he's anxious to be rid of.

He didn't realize his transformations would drag him into a hidden society of canine and lupine shape shifters as well as a family legacy he hates. He's working to "get by" in Los Angeles, after moving there to learn more about his heritage from his Aunt Moira and his cousin Kalista. Caleb now struggles through more life-and-death matters. He keeps angering the werewolves in charge of the shifter world, especially Kalista's boyfriend Peter, the Southern California alpha's son and grade A sociopath, who already loathes him. Worse, Caleb's floundering to keep his secret from Joanna.

While his family offers him some support, they may not be enough as Caleb realizes that the rules in shifter society---number one supposedly being don't kill humans ---are not so ironclad. Some werewolf out there is leaving a blood-soaked trail across the Midwest and it might just be with the alpha's blessing...

How could I say no to such a funny and original premise? I've read about 1/3 of this so far and while I'm not head over heels in love with the book, I am enjoying it and it is funny. I should have a review up soon.

I Bought:

1
3
2
4
6
5
1. Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake -- I've heard way too many good things about this from way too many of my friends. When I saw this at WalMart I had to grab it. Now who's going to pay the therapy bills when I have nightmares after I read it? That's anyone's guess. :p 

2. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter -- You'll likely want to bring something to protect your clothes when I review this one. Greek Mythology can be a very touchy subject for me. I've avoided this book for a long time because I know I may not be the right person to weigh in on it. But I saw it at WalMart today and I couldn't resist picking it up. 

3. Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzman -- This looked relatively interesting and I was already getting Temptation and Pushing the Limit so I figured why not? I'm never sure if being easily lured by a bargain is a blessing or a curse, but 25% off makes it hard for me to say no if something seems intriguing. 

4. The Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter -- Okay! I started writing this last week, never loaded it and I'm adding to it. *shakes head* I've finished The Goddess Test and The Goddess Legacy and I totally loved both. Reviews will be up soon. If you're going to read this, you will need to let go of expectations that the Gods will be perfect mirrors of Greek myth, but if you can deal with that these books are fabulous. 

5. Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins -- You're probably going to laugh at this. I had a serious reason for getting this and a not so serious one. The serious reason, of course, is that I love studying how different people live and what happens when different lifestyles intersect. Since the Amish exist within our own time, yet mirror very different views then we do that makes them fascinating. The silly reason? Two words: Weird Al's "Amish Paradise". Yes, I know I'm awful, but that's how I remembered what this was about when I saw it at the store. 

7. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry -- I've heard nothing but rave reviews for this and that's from friends who all love different genres of books. So I absolutely had to nab this up when I saw it at Shoppers' Drug Mart. I haven't sat down with it yet (been too busy reading The Goddess Test, The Goddess Legacy and Savor) but I'm sure I'll get to it soon. 

For My Kindle: 

1
3
2
Savor by Megan Duncan -- This caught my interest when I read a review where someone claimed it was The Princess Diaries with vampires. Now, I've never *read* The Princess Diaries. I've only seen the movies. But the premise sounded sorta cute to me and this book was only $1, so I figured why not? Needless to say, I've read it from start to finish and while there are some things I'll want to point out when I review it, on the whole I thought it was pretty good. 

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter -- You've got to know if I got a sequel for my kindle of a book I bought in print, I wanted that book *bad*. That's definitely the case with Goddess Interrupted. I'm sitting on my hands and trying to keep me from devouring this and The Goddess Hunt since I know the next book isn't out until next year. But it's very, very hard to resist and I'm sure I'll break eventually. 

The Goddess Hunt by Aimee Carter -- Okay, I think I've squeed enough about this series in this post to last until the reviews go up. :p Needless to say, this is an eBook only novella, so I had to grab it for my kindle. How long before I break down and read it? Gods only know. :p 


So, what did you get this week? Leave a link and I'll drop by and check it out. :) 

1 comment:

  1. I loved The Goddess Test, you should definitely pick it up if you haven't already!! and I need to buy a copy of Pushing The Limits!! My sister LOVED it!

    awesome books!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...