Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shopping Sprees Are Fun...

Some of you might know that I have started planning my revisions for Moon Dance. You might also know that I am a big believer in rewarding myself for reaching my goals. Well, that's what's happening this weekend. Once I am done reading and taking notes on my novel -- so that I can then create a new outline and plan how I will actually be revising it -- I'm spoiling myself with a $200 Amazon shopping spree.

People constantly say that if you want to write, you should read. So what could possibly be better?

The trouble is that my "Add to Wishlist" habit is like having an itchy trigger finger. I have way too much stuff on there. So I'm hoping that you guys can help me narrow this down.

So without further ado, here's the list...

Writing Books:


1. Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King

Everyone seems to agree that this is a very good book to have when doing revision or editing. I figure its time I added it to my collection.

2. Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies by Deborah Halverson

I try to add writing books that are YA specific to my collection when I get the chance. This seems to be reviewed well on Amazon.

3. It was The Best of Sentences, It was the Worst of Sentences by June Casagrande

Recommended by Kitty Pryde over at Absolute Write. I read the sample on Amazon and I think this is exactly what I am looking for.

4. Revision and Self Editing by James Scott Bell

Yet another revision and editing book. Do I really need two? I'd love to know whether it's worth getting both or not.

Dystopian:


1. Divergent by Veronica Roth

I have heard a lot of praise for this book and I liked the sample that I read. The Hunger Games went far better then I anticipated. Instead of avoiding YA distopian fiction, I'm now interested in reading it.

2. Matched by Ally Condie

The premise for this one intrigues me. The idea that someone else tells you who you will spend the rest of your life with could seem terrifying -- or a total relief -- depending on your history with dating / romance. I'm curious to see what happens here.

3. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

The idea of loving being considered a disease and scientists perfecting a cure is very chilling. Would you want to live in a world without love?

4. Bumped by Megan McCafferty

I really liked the sample that I read of this. The contrast between one twin who is willing to get pregnant for money and one who lives in a religious commune sounds fascinating.

5. Wither by Lauren DeStefano

I was angry when I read the premise of this book. But that could very well be a good reason to read it. Will it completely tick me off? Does it have anything worthwhile to say? The author has chosen some very sticky subject matter and it could be interesting to see how she handles it.

Contemporary:


Hello, genre I have never actually read before! Yes, I generally stick that closely to fantasy and paranormal. Okay ... technically I'm sure I have read contemporary fiction before. But this is the first time I can ever recall going out of my way to read it.

1. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

This book is suppose to have a well balanced and interesting romance. Considering how much slack that paranormal or urban fantasy can get in that area, I thought that trying something a little more real might be an interesting exercise. I also quite liked the sample that I read on Amazon.

2. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

I have heard much praise for this book and it has caught my interest. One of the characters in Moon Dance passes away and leaves my heroine with some grief. So I thought getting a book where the character is dealing with this might be a good idea.

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Another book that people seem to really like. The idea interested me when I read it, so here it is.

4. The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Same reasons that I am interested in Twenty Boy Summer. I also think that watching how the main character deals with the two guys in her life should be interesting.

Paranormal:


1. Fallen by Lauren Kate

I admit it: I've never read any fallen angel paranormal. Plus, WalMart has the other two books for really good prices so if I like this I will grab those too. (With real money, as opposed to credit card.) I read a sample of this and really liked it.

2. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I'm actually thinking of buying this because of how strongly some people dislike it. This seems to be the poster child for "What we don't want from paranormal romance". I really wanted it back in February of 2010 but decided not to buy it. From what I've heard the issues people have with this are also present in Twilight (which I have but have not finished. Yawn.) Should I examine that instead?

3. Passing Strange by David Waters

I really liked the original Generation Dead. I have Kiss of Life in my TBR pile but have not been able to get into it for whatever reason. Part of me wants to get this because of my love for the original. Part of me is arguing I should wait until I finish Kiss of Life since they're suppose to be read in order.

4. Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

This has a very intriguing premise and I really want to read it. However, it's being released in paperback at the end of August. Buy it now since I'm curious? Or wait and save a little money?

Other (Not 100% Sure Where These Belong...)


1. Heist Society by Ally Carter

This sounds like it should be a fun read. I've never read anything by this author before but I know I have taken a look at some of her books and been intrigued. Is it time to take the plunge?

2. Fat Vampire by Adam Rex

I've been reading vampire romances since 2001. This looks like it is a parody on the genre and has gained my interest because of that. Anyone know if its any good?

3. Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I'm thinking of starting to collect some re-tellings and this caught my interest.

4. Gemini Bites by Patrick Ryan

Another book recommended by Kitty Pryde. This has a very interesting premise and I am curious to see what happens. I read a sample of this and liked it.

Anyway, there they are. :D I told you I have too many choices.

Anyway... Which ones would you buy? What books are you anxious to read next?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...