Sunday, January 29, 2012

In My Mailbox (Jan. 28th)


In My Mailbox is a weekly event hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren where we get to share all of the fabulous things that we bought, borrowed or received this week.

So, how has everyone been? If you didn't see my previous post here at I Write, I Read, I Review I've been a "tad" busy. I thought things were finally shifting back to normal -- I was even going to do a vlog for IMM this evening. But as they say, life gets in the way. It appears that my grandma has been having mini-strokes all day and we are going to have to take her to Kingston General Hospital tomorrow. So things are still a bit shaky here, unfortunately.

On the bright side, I have received or purchased a few fabulous new books in the last couple weeks. Care to have a look? Read on below. :)

For Review:

Telesa: The Covenant Keeper
by Lani Wendt Young
When Leila moves to her new home, all she wants is a family, a place to belong. Instead she discovers the local ancient myths of the telesa spirit women are more than just scary stories. The more she finds out about her heritage, the more sinister her new home turns out to be. Embraced by a Covenant Sisterhood of earth's elemental guardians - what will Leila choose? Her fiery birthright as a telesa? Or will she choose the boy who offers her his heart? Daniel - stamped with the distinctive tattoo markings of a noble Pacific warrior and willing to risk everything for the chance to be with her. Can their love stand against the Covenant Keeper?

A thriller-romance with a difference. If you enjoyed Twilight, then you will be enthralled by Telesa as it blends the richness of Pacific mythology into a contemporary young adult love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the final page.

This book sounds extremely interesting. I love magic systems that involve the elements, and I love discovering new places in the world that I am not familiar with. Having been very impressed with how Colleen Houck handled introducing me to India in Tiger's Curse, I could not resist checking this out after reading a sample. What I've read so far is very well written and definitely grabbed my interest.

Scary School
by Derek the Ghost
You think your school's scary?

Get a load of these teachers:

Ms. Fang, an 850-year-old vampire
Dr. Dragonbreath, who just might eat you before recess
Mr. Snakeskin—science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
Mrs. T—break the rules and spend your detention with a hungryTyrannosaurus rex!

Plus

Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch

And

The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost!

Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends—including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf—and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky!


I have a lot going on right now, as you can well imagine from what I wrote at the beginning of my post. So when Derek contacted me about reviewing his book and I took a look at it and couldn't stop laughing, I quickly decided this is probably exactly what I need right now. I just got the file for my Kindle a few hours ago, and I am already half way through. I'm not ready to give a final rating or anything here, but I can tell you that for *me*, I was definitely right. Writing the review for this one is going to be fun. :)

I Was Given:

Cracked Up To Be
by Courtney Summers
Perfect Parker Fadley isn’t so perfect anymore. She’s quit the cheerleading squad, she’s dumped her perfect boyfriend, and she’s failing school. Her parents are on a constant suicide watch and her counselors think she’s playing games…but what they don’t know, the real reason for this whole mess, isn’t something she can say out loud. It isn’t even something she can say to herself. A horrible thing has happened and it just might be her fault. If she can just remove herself from everybody--be totally alone--then everything will be okay...The problem is, nobody will let her.


This was one of the books on my Christmas wish list and I'm pretty sure that this was sent as a My Bookworm Santa gift. Many thanks to the person who sent it. :) I have wanted to read this for ages. I'm really looking forward to it. :)

I Bought:

Shopper's Drug Mart
Shopper's Drug Mart
Shopper's Drug Mart
Value Village

The first three books were purchased at Shopper's Drug Mart when I went grocery shopping with my parents and my brother in Kingston. They had books for 25% off and I'm sure that by now you all know that I can't resist buying books that are on sale. Thoughts on each book:

Crescendo is something I have definitely taken a chance on. I own Hush, Hush but I haven't finished it yet. Hopefully this ends more happily then it did with Fallen. We shall see. If it doesn't fair well, I am sure there is a local library here that would be happy to take them.

Switched, as a writer, is something I could not pass up grabbing. I was already interested in the story, and when that is added to seeing just what Amanda Hocking came up with, this had to come home with me.

Misfit is a book I've heard good things about from friends. Most notably, I noticed that Aeicha over at Word Splunking liked it, as did Darkfallen over at Paranormal Wastelands. I've had books in common with both in the past so when I saw this on sale I basically went 'why not?'.

Lastly is a copy of City of Glass. I already own City of Bones and City of Ashes, and now that I have read and enjoyed Clockwork Angel I will be getting to those sooner rather then later, I'm sure. So for two dollars I could not resist rescuing this.


So, do you have any thoughts on the things that I received? Did you get anything totally awesome that you think I'd like to see? I hope that this week has been good to you. :) Have a great day! 

7 comments:

  1. Great haul Kathy! Switched and City of Glass are awesome! Cracked up to Be sounds really good and I remember one of my GR friends had really LOVED it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Trylle series by Amanda Hocking. There are some cliches in the first book, but if you stick with the series, there are some fantastic twists with her world-building and characters that were refreshing and more complex than I expected! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great!And the Telesa cover is INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great haul!

    Happy reading!
    Amanda's Writings

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look really good! :) Nice IMM.
    *New follower*
    My IMM: http://epiloguereview.blogspot.com/2012/01/imm-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracked up to be was excellent. Hope you enjoy it!
    Happy REading!
    Em
    My IMM post
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...