Thursday, September 29, 2011

Zompacolypse @ I Write, I Read, I Review! + Bleeding Hearts Nominations!

Some of you may have noticed this badge chilling on my sidebar for the past few weeks. I've made a few attempts to get you to click it. I'd definitely love to see as many of you as possible get involved. But for those who don't know what this is about, this post will hopefully fill you in. (And it will get things started here at I Write, I Read, I Review, too.)

I am taking part in a Halloween event called Zompacolypse. For my part, I have contributed a review of Generation Dead and I will be hosting a giveaway during the Halloween Blog Hop at the end of October.

That's what brings us here today.

Normally I like to pick the prizes that I offer in my giveaways. But since this is an event and I am hoping that a lot of people will be dropping by to enter, I want to make sure I have something for everyone. Plus, I want to have an event here to get all of you involved.

That event is going to be... 
The Bleeding Hearts Awards! 

Okay, I know what you're thinking. "Stop. Turn. Explain." Well, here we go...

The Bleeding Hearts are awards designed to recognize great books about paranormal or supernatural plots or characters. I'll use the list from the actual Zompacolypse post since I am running The Bleeding Hearts as an event leading up to my blog's part in the Halloween Blog Hop. (See "Nomination Criteria" for full details.)

Here's what's going to happen. Round One of The Bleeding Hearts is going to be Nominations. I am going to give you guys two weeks to nominate books that you would like to see on the polls for each category. Nominations begin now and will end on Thursday October 13th, 2011.

Round Two of The Bleeding Hearts is going to be for voting. You will get one vote for each category. The voting will go from October 14th until October 28th, 2011 when the actual Halloween Blog Hop begins.

When the blog hop begins (October 28th until October 31st, 2011), the books that have won in each category will be the prize options that the winner(s) here at I Write, I Read, I Review can select their prize from (Note: I am still deciding how many winners I will select. I will have more details on this later, I'm sure.)

Now here is the important part: You will get an extra entry for nominating books and an extra entry for voting. To get the voting entry, you *must* sign that post with a comment so that I know you voted. You don't need to tell us what you voted for unless you want to, but you *must* sign that post when you vote. It's the only way I'll be able to properly check.

Don't worry -- I'll remind you of that when the voting post is put up. :)

Nomination Criteria

Now that you know what The Bleeding Hearts are and what they are for it's time that we actually got some books nominated, huh? First I am going to explain what type of books we are looking for to receive The Bleeding Hearts Awards, and then I will tell you the categories that are going to be open for nominations.

A Few More Details:

  • You are welcome to nominate more then one book for the same category. Be aware that you will only be able to vote for one book per category once the polls go up, though.
  • You are welcome to nominate a book for more then one award if the book fits the award properly. (For instance, you could choose to nominate Twilight for "Best Vampire Book" and then again for "Best Romance" if you wanted to.) 
  • I *want* to see people nominating a book others have nominated. This will tell me that book must be on the poll. 
  • I am looking into finding a poll system that will let me imbed the polls into a post so this event will be convenient. I will be selecting the five most nominated books per category for each poll that is set up. That means it's really important that you speak up about the books that you want to see in each category.
  • You can add nominations for as few or as many categories as you like. Please don't feel pressured to come up with something for all ten unless you want to. 

For the purposes of The Bleeding Hearts, a book should have one at least of the following: Zombies, Ghouls, Ghost, Vampires, Weres, Mages, Witches, Wicked Fae or Changelings (Note: I am accepting books about Faeries here in general, for example The Iron King.). Since my blog is primarily about YA and tends to focus on the romantic aspect of the genre I am going to bend things slightly to suit what I cover here. For The Bleeding Hearts, both the sparkly and the spooky are welcome to apply.

If you have any questions about nominations for The Bleeding Hearts please feel free to leave them in the comments or e-mail me.

The Bleeding Hearts: Categories

  • Best Witch or Faerie Book
  • Best Were or Shifter Book
  • Best Vampire Book
  • Best Zombie Book
  • Best Romance
  • Most Terrifying Book
  • Best Male Character*
  • Best Female Character*
  • Best Villain*
  • Overall Best Book
*Note: Please list both the character's name and what book he or she is from. Thanks!

And the Nominations for The Bleeding Hearts Awards 2011 are now officially open! I'm excited to see what people will nominate. 

13 comments:

  1. I'll get this started... I have not read a lot of YA that fits here -- most of the stuff I've read has actually been contemporary or dystopian. Anyway...

    Besst Vampire Book -- Vampire Academy

    Best Zombie Book -- Generation Dead

    Best Romance -- Rose & Dmitri (Vampire Academy series)

    Best Male Character -- Adam (Generation Dead)

    Best Female Character -- Rose (Vampire Academy)

    Best Villain -- Pete (Generation Dead)
    Best Villain -- Mimi Force (Blue Bloods)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here goes my Vote:

    Best Vampire Book: Vampire Academy (Totally agree with u Kathy!)

    Best Romance: Rose and Dmitri (Vampire Academy Again.)

    Best Male Character: Jace(The Mortal Instruments)

    Best Male Character: Dmitri (The Vampire Academy)

    Best Female Character: Zoey Redbird (House of Night)

    Best Villain: Julian (The Forbidden Game.)
    Best Villain: Neferet (House of Night)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Faerie Book- Impossible by Nancy Werlin
    Best Vampire Book- Vampire Academy
    Best Zombie Book- Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
    Best Male Character*- Jace (Mortal Instruments)
    Best Female Character*- Katniss (Hunger Games)
    Best Villain*- Aphrodite (house of Night)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best Vampire Book: Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead) DEFINITELY!
    Best Male Character: Jace (The Mortal Instruments, Cassandra Clare)
    Best Female Character: Clary (The Mortal Instruments, Cassandra Clare)
    Best Faerie Book: The Iron Fey series (Julie Kagawa) can't decide on one book!
    Best Were Book: Shiver, Linger, Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls series, Maggie Steifvater) or Nightshade, Wolfsbane (Andrea Cremer)
    Best Villian: Voldemort (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)
    Best Romance: The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) or maybe Shade, Shift (Jeri Smith Ready)
    Best Book Overall: I REALLY can't decide... Either HARRY POTTER (J.K.Rowling), The Mortal Instruments (Cassandra Clare) or The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

    Vivian M
    vivianmah8@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Vampire Book: Evernight
    Best Male Character: Jace from the Mortal Instruments
    Best Male Character: Damon, the Vampire Diaries
    Best Zombie Book: The First Days
    Best Witch Book: Of Witches and Warlocks: The Trouble with Spells by Lacey Weatherford
    Best Female Character: Winter from Winter's Shadow
    Overall Best Book: The Hunger Games

    Julie W
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Witch or Faerie Book:Jinx by Meg Cabot

    Best Were or Shifter Book:Mercy Falls series

    Best Vampire Book :Twilight Series

    Best Zombie Book :The Forest of Hands & Teeth

    Best Romance :Mortal Instruments

    Most Terrifying Book :The Forest of Hands & Teeth

    Best Male Character* :Four {Divergent}

    Best Female Character* :Mia {Princess Diaries}

    Best Villain* :Maleficent {Kingdom Keepers}

    Overall Best Book : Divergent


    regards,

    maidenhealer@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Vampire Book: Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
    Best Were or Shifter Book: The Reckoning (Darkest Powers #3--Kelley Armstrong)
    Best Zombie Book: The Dead Tossed Waves (Carrie Ryan)
    Best Romance: Twilight
    Best Female Character: Rose (Vampire Academy)
    Best Male Character: Edward (Twilight)
    Best Overall Book: The Summoning (Darkness Rising #1) or the whole trilogy if I'm allowed to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops. I meant to put Darkest Powers for Best Overall Book, not Darkness Rising. I keep switching the series' titles in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best Witch or Faerie Book: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (Witch and Fairy) and
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa(Faerie)

    Best Were or Shifter Book: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

    Best Vampire Book: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead and
    Evernight by Claudia Gray

    Best Zombie Book: Deadlands by Lily Hearne

    Best Romance: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

    Most Terrifying Book:

    Best Male Character*: Alex from Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elekeles and
    Carlos from Rule of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

    Best Female Character*: Sophie Mercer from Hex Hall by Rchel Hawkins

    Best Villain*: Queen Mab in The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

    Overall Best Book: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

    Sarah Bibi Setar

    sarahDOTsetarATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's my choices....

    *Best Witch or Faerie Book: Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr *faerie* (some of the concepts were over my head, but this book is amazing and unique), Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz *witch* , and Ash by Malinda Lo*faerie*

    *Best Zombie Book: Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (for making zombies more than just monsters), and Zombies vs. Unicorns by Various Authors (for an awesome mix of zombie stories)

    *Best Vampire Book: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (for making vampires scary again), and Vampirates by Justin Somper (come on, you gotta love vampire pirates)

    *Best Romance: Ash and Kaisa from Ash by Malinda Lo

    *Most Terrifying Book: Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick ( this books got living, fast, flesh hungry zombie kids. scared yet?)

    *Best Male Character: Jix from Neal Shusterman's Everlost trilogy (a jaguar ghost kid with a sweet spot for his girl)

    *Best Female Character: Dianna from Michael Grant's Gone series

    *Best Villain: Mary Hightower from Neal Shusterman's Everlost Trilogy, and Caine from Michael Grant's Gone series

    Emma B.
    ladystingray1512ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best Witch or Fae book- Beautiful Creatures
    Best Were or shifter - Sisters Red
    Best Zombie book - Kiss of Death (Generation Dead book 2)
    Best romance couple- Rose & Dimitri (VA)
    Best girl- Scarlett (Sisters Red)
    Best Villian- Pete (Generation Dead) ***god I wanted to kill him. Quite literally!***

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love comments! Please feel free to tell me what you think about my blog and the things I am posting. I enjoy hearing what others think. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...